Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185400
12/13/06 03:04 PM
12/13/06 03:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

take it slow..

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185449
12/13/06 04:26 PM
12/13/06 04:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh Sarah,
I am sorry things haven't improved yet. I know you are taking good care of him and watching him carefully. If you need to talk I am here, please let me know how you both are doing. I am saying prayers....
(((((hugs)))))
Angie

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185510
12/13/06 06:34 PM
12/13/06 06:34 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
It is a good exercise in patience. Meeko does look better this afternoon. So far he has eaten a grape and a half, and some melon, and his ears are up and eyes wider open. He is still shakey, but I'll take any improvement I can get!

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: SarahW] #185514
12/13/06 06:42 PM
12/13/06 06:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

clap hug2 hug2 hug2 clap
every little improvement is great. keep it up Meeko!

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185555
12/13/06 07:38 PM
12/13/06 07:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh I'm so glad to hear there's been some improvement! Go Meeko! clap

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185626
12/13/06 10:06 PM
12/13/06 10:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sarah, thats good news. I am still praying hard and looking forward to more good updates.
(((((hugs))))))
Angie

Last edited by AngieH; 12/13/06 10:06 PM.
Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185758
12/14/06 01:37 AM
12/14/06 01:37 AM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
Good boy Meeko!!! clap We all want you to get better here...now go give Mom a kiss!
Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: Meeko is sick [Re: Karin] #185775
12/14/06 02:37 AM
12/14/06 02:37 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Meeko looks tired again, but when he came out of his pouch, he went to the wheel right away. It was the slowest wheel walk I've ever seen, but it was deliberate and it was the most interest he's shown in playing in days. He's not interested in eating right now, but he has juice and pedialyte, juicy fruits and veggies, baby food chicken and sweet potatoes, and some egg (his favorite) to choose from. If he were healthy he would get fat off all the food he has available to him tonight!

He seemed to feel better about five hours after the first dose of medicine today; let's hope he's ramping up to some more bright eyed, perky eared eating in a couple hours.

Hope hope hope!

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185794
12/14/06 03:18 AM
12/14/06 03:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wonder if it is possible to get a sub-q fluid lesson from your vet and some syringes just in case a situation like this occurs.

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #185823
12/14/06 05:18 AM
12/14/06 05:18 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Checked on Meeko again with the tent test. He is not dehydrated; so he is either drinking when I am not watching him, or he is getting enough fluids from his fruits. I hope he eats more of them tonight!

My boyfriend is experienced with the tent test and knows what to do (and who to call) if Meeko gets sick. I think subq is not an issue yet, but you made a good suggestion---if he has to go to get them, I'll have him bring some home.

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: SarahW] #185907
12/14/06 11:57 AM
12/14/06 11:57 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Meeko did not touch his food last night, but he did drink some mango juice. I gave him pedialyte by syringe last night. Not too happy about that. This morning I saw him drinking and brought him out of the cage. He would take and eat melon and grape by hand---he ate about 1 tbsp of fruit hand fed (but would not eat on his own or melon coated with baby food or yogurt. This is odd since he would not touch it in the cage (and it was in two different locations). I got him to eat maybe 1/2 tsp of chicken baby food by syringe. He will get more pedialyte in a little bit.

My boyfriend has offered to work from home today and tomorrow just to keep Meeko more comfortable and just in case an emergency vet visit is required.

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: SarahW] #185919
12/14/06 12:30 PM
12/14/06 12:30 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
One thing that came up as a part of this is worth reminding people about--- My vet doesn't release medical information to people outside of my immediate family. Make sure that if your glider sitter (in my case, my boyfriend) is not related to you, that you tell the vet it is ok for them to bring in your animal and to receive info about their condition (or approve treatment).

Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: SarahW] #186762
12/16/06 03:10 AM
12/16/06 03:10 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
I just wanted to let you know that Meeko passed away about an hour ago. Because Meeko was not showing good improvement on the Baytril after 72 hours, the vet switched his medication to trimethoprim sulfa (Bactrim) this morning. After the first dose, Meeko seemed to be improving (he hung upside-down in his cage for a while, ate two mealies, and drank a bit of juice), but when Brendan went to give him the second dose this evening, Meeko seized during the process and couldn't even swallow all of the medicine. Brendan said he made a terrible face, and then opened his mouth and was very still. Brendan tried his best to revive him. He got Meeko breathing, but it was shallow and he was shaking a lot. Meeko died in Brendan's hands on the way to the vet.

Thank you so much for all the prayers and concern and kind words you have sent our way over the past few days. You have all been so kind. This is the first glider I have lost, but knowing there is such a wonderful community out there to support us is comforting (thanks especially to AngieH, who has been so supportive and helpful this whole time).

Meeko was so good at helping me feel better, and I want him to continue helping people even though he's gone. At my university, I study in a biology department and also work in the university's natural history museum. Brendan and I have decided to donate Meeko's body to the museum. They will use his skeleton for comparison, and possibly his tissues for genetic studies. This way, Meeko can help future scientists understand glider and marsupial biology for a long time to come.

I love you, Meeko! Brendan and I---and Sugar, Spice, and Joey---miss you very much...

Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: SarahW] #186765
12/16/06 03:33 AM
12/16/06 03:33 AM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
Oh my gosh, I am soooo sorry....I wanted so badly for Meeko to make it.
We will move this to Real Stories for you now frown.
Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: Karin] #186789
12/16/06 08:27 AM
12/16/06 08:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sarah,
Meeko couldn't have had a better mom to love and care for him. I want to thank you and Brandon for your dedication to him, and the love you shower both the boys and girls with. I know you did everything you could have done but it was just not to be. I know that he is at the Bridge, that small part of Heaven where our babies wait for us. I have a few there myself, all were rescues, but I loved them so very much.
My heart hurts for you, Brandon, Joey and the girls. I have found the hardest part is saying goodbye. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please give all the babies a kiss from me.
(((((hugs)))))
Angie

Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: ] #186807
12/16/06 10:31 AM
12/16/06 10:31 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Sarah,
I'm so very sorry that Meeko passed over... Know that you are a great glider-mom and did everything you could for him. Take time and allow yourself to grieve. We're here for you.
hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: sugarglidersuz] #186809
12/16/06 10:58 AM
12/16/06 10:58 AM
Chicago, IL
FURBYnGIZMO Offline
Glider Addict
FURBYnGIZMO  Offline
Glider Addict

Chicago, IL

cry I'm so sorry for the loss of Meeko he was a little fighter to hang on as long as he did.

He is in a place where he is no longer feels ill and he will be with Tom at the rainbow bridge.

He will always have the memory of the love you gave him and the patience you showed him. hug2

dance Jenny

Furby -- Kalila -- Deuce -- Gizmo

Furby :grey: Kalila :wfb: Deuce :leu:

Gizmo :rbridge:

Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: FURBYnGIZMO] #186867
12/16/06 02:04 PM
12/16/06 02:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh Sarah,

I am so sorry for your loss. You all fought so hard.

Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: ] #187145
12/17/06 11:59 AM
12/17/06 11:59 AM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
I'm so very sorry to hear of Meekos passing. hug2 hug2 hug2

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Meeko is sick update - Meeko has died [Re: glidrz5] #187222
12/17/06 04:17 PM
12/17/06 04:17 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Thank you for these sweet words and for everyone's sympathy. It has been hard for Brendan and I these past couple days. Brendan tells me that Joey (Meeko's cagemate for the past couple years) has been very skittish since Meeko died; it seems like he knows something is wrong but not exactly what that is yet. If Meeko didn't have an infection, we would have let the others say goodbye, but we didn't want our other three to get sick. I'm glad we have our two girls for Joey to play with.

Meeko's cagemate has died!!! Was: Meeko is sick [Re: SarahW] #187611
12/18/06 01:24 PM
12/18/06 01:24 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Oh no oh no oh no... Brendan woke up this morning to find that Meeko's cagemate, Joey, had died and was lying curled up on the floor of the cage. We had put Joey in with the girls when Meeko got sick, since it didn't seem like Joey was ill (he wasn't showing signs of lethargy or problems with breathing) and we didn't want him to get sick too. He was playing, eating and drinking normally last night. He even sang while eating dinner (his little avocado song...).

So now we are really worried about the girls, Sugar and Spice. We put Joey in the cage with them when Meeko got sick because it didn't seem like anything was wrong with Joey. But now we are worried that Joey will have passed on whatever he and Meeko had to them. We called the vet, who can't see them until 7AM tomorrow, but he said to start them on Bactrim (trimethoprim sulfa) immediately (we had some from Meeko's illness) and to sanitize everything they come in contact with (toys, food dishes, water bottles, cages, cage covers, pouches).

I've emailed the vet and Brendan with a list of tests I want them to do on the girls: fecal smear/float, UA, blood tests, lung examination, anything the vet thinks is appropriate. I'm also requesting a necroscopy on Joey. I am praying it was something like choking on food or depression or random heart attack, anything that would mean my little girls are at a lower risk of getting sick.

I'm still stuck out of town and I'm worried I'm going to lose my girls and that I won't get to say goodbye to any of my gliders. I'm so sad and worried that I'm numb. Sugar and Spice and Joey and Meeko are my little angels; they kept me sane while I was living alone and they keep me happy now. But I want them to be living angels, not guardian angels.

Brendan is beside himself with worry and blaming himself for everything. I know it's not his fault (he's good at spotting signs of illness and taking care of them) but I can't seem to convince him that things would have been the same if I were there.

I have no idea what to do... if you have any suggestions, please please post, or email me at swerning@berkeley.edu. I've had my girls for almost three years (our adoption anniversary is Jan 4) and I can't imagine life without them... I just want to cry and cry...

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! Was: Meeko is sick [Re: SarahW] #187622
12/18/06 01:39 PM
12/18/06 01:39 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
The one thing I am trying to keep in mind is that the girls have never been sick in three years---Spice had a sprained paw, but that was it. Joey had a UTI and this was Meeko's second sickness in a year and a half. Hopefully the girls are healthy enough to pull through...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep us in your thoughts! I don't know what I would do if I lost my girls too.

Re: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #187625
12/18/06 01:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry to hear Meeko still isn't feeling well. We will continue to keep him in our thoughts and pray for a healthy and speedy recovery.

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! Was: Meeko is sick [Re: SarahW] #187626

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

oh God, I am so sorry. I really hope the vet will be able to give your girls a clean bill of health.

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! Was: Meeko is sick [Re: ] #187639
12/18/06 02:03 PM
12/18/06 02:03 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
They will be on antibiotics just in case even if they do get a clean bill of health. I'm so worried for my little ones...

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! [Re: SarahW] #187654
12/18/06 02:38 PM
12/18/06 02:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sarah,
I don't know if I can make it through this post...
My heart is broken, for you, for Brandon, and for Joey and Meeko. When they came to me they hadn't been handled in a while. Thier mother at that time went away to collage and left them with her mom who was terrified of them. She fed them and did clean the cage but she was scared to touch them. For a year they didn't have loving hands to hold them, they didn't have playtime, but they had each other and that must have helped them through that part of thier life.
One day she called here and she asked if I could take the boys until they found a home. They were here for a while before you called and asked about adopting. They were starting to trust people and I so wanted them to have more than I could give them as I have so many to care for.
They went home with you and became pampered pets, two spoiled boys who finnaly got the loving hands to hold them and the playtime they needed, and they still had each other.
Over the past few years you cared for them, loved them, introduced them to the girls who became thier compaions. I looked forward to hearing from you and getting updates on them. They had the most wonderful owner who always went the extra mile for them.
I cried when Meeko was sich and passed, and then then this morning when you called, I cried again. Becasue you will miss them, and I will miss hearing from you about the silly things they did. Becasue the girls will miss them and Brandon also.
I am so very worried about the girls, I am praying that Joey just wanted to be with Meeko so badly, they were together so long. Perhaps they had a bond that was special enough for them to be together at the bridge.
Please let me know, and if you need anything please call. I am usually not such a crybaby but when it comes to the gliders well the tears come preaty easily. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Brandon, Sugar and Spice.

My Angel

I see you in dreams now:
You vanish by day.
I wish you could linger
To hear what I say.
Like how much I love you
And need you forever.
How bonds close as ours were
Death cannot sever
I want to embrace you
And hold you so tight:
To see you at daybreak
When you melt with the night.
And yet through those mists,
I sense you are near.
Healing my sorrow,
Soothing my fear.
You’ll be my sweet angel,
To guard and to guide:
Till we’re reunited

(((((hugs)))))
Angie

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! [Re: ] #187673
12/18/06 03:18 PM
12/18/06 03:18 PM
Chicago, IL
FURBYnGIZMO Offline
Glider Addict
FURBYnGIZMO  Offline
Glider Addict

Chicago, IL

cry I'm so sorry for the loss of your lil ones cry

You will be in my thought and prayers in your time of loss hug2

Last edited by FURBYnGIZMO; 12/18/06 03:29 PM.

dance Jenny

Furby -- Kalila -- Deuce -- Gizmo

Furby :grey: Kalila :wfb: Deuce :leu:

Gizmo :rbridge:

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! [Re: FURBYnGIZMO] #187684
12/18/06 03:34 PM
12/18/06 03:34 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I'm so sorry Sarah! Sending thoughts and prayers for the girls to get through this!

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! [Re: BeckiT] #187686
12/18/06 03:40 PM
12/18/06 03:40 PM
Lexington, KY
Lucy Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lucy  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lexington, KY
Sarah, Brendan definitely does need to get the girls checked out at the vet, as well. It's really unlikely that what caused Meeko and Joey died from two unrelated causes. Your other gliders are okay now, and that's the time to get them looked at and tested. At the very least you need fecal smears and floats to rule out parasites or bacterial infections. These are so common in gliders that it's always the place to start looking.

If those tests come back negative, the results of the necropsy will be all that much more important - if it's serious liver involvement and almost nothing else wrong, then you have to ask a whole different set of questions.

I'll sure be praying for your crew, and for you and Brendan as you go through this difficult time.

Re: Meeko's cagemate has died!!! [Re: Lucy] #187705
12/18/06 03:59 PM
12/18/06 03:59 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Fecal float and smear are definites for tomorrow; as well as a blood test. I hope to have UAs done, too, if Sugar and Spice cooperate.

I keep thinking about little things that make me sad. For example, right before I left home, I was telling Brendan we needed to get two more Christmas stockings for Joey and Meeko, to match the tiny ones we have for Sugar and Spice. I even looked for them in the store on Friday... I wanted to put their names on them and put a peanut in each on Christmas morning. frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024