Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help #266559
04/20/07 03:55 AM
04/20/07 03:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello everyone,
I just recive my first set of gliders.. the previous owner never really played with them much and never really washed there fleece pouches... so there nails are supper long and they tummys are a-bit yellow from there urine (so they do smell) Its a Momma (Minnie) Papa(Mickey) Baby boy (Pluto) they have bonded to me and my family pretty well even tho he loves to bite my earlobes! blush So i was wondering if any of these things worked

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/pureayre.htm

&

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/scooters-choice.htm

so if anyone can please help me out i would appreciate it
Thanks

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help [Re: ] #266561
04/20/07 04:03 AM
04/20/07 04:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I personally have not used any of those products. I am sure someone will come along an let you know if they are any good or not. When I have had to clean my gliderz I take a real lightly damp cloth and wipe them with it. I have clipped my gliders nails and it takes 2 of us to do it. My little girls that I have had since birth like to nibble on my ears too...OHHH and by the way WELCOME to GC. You will find lots of help here by many caring people. sounds like Minnie, Mickey, and Pluto have found a good home. Good luck in the days of bonding to come.

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help [Re: ] #266590
04/20/07 07:19 AM
04/20/07 07:19 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I don't think you can use those products with gliders. However, you can use the damp washcloth that roosmom suggested. Another option is to use a Cottonelle Fresh Wipe (this brand is safe for gliders), then fluff dry the gliders after wiping them down.
Usually when a glider comes smelly & discolored it means that they weren't on a good diet. You should look over the diets listed on my web page about Feeding Your Glider. They are good, proven diets with proper nutritive balances. Find one that will be convenient for you & stick to it, without any modifications or "extras". It will take about 4-6 weeks for your gliders' systems to get rid of the toxins from the previous diet and to balance out and for the smell & discoloration to be gone, if poor diet is the cause in this case.

As for nail trimming, go to my page about How to Trim Your Glider's Nails for some tips on how to do it thumb

Good luck with your new gliders and please feel free to ask any questions you have. You have embarked on a new adventure that will fill your lives with love heart

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help [Re: sugarglidersuz] #266726
04/20/07 12:22 PM
04/20/07 12:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just wanted to add - if you wash them off be sure to get them dry fast and keep them warm. DO NOT blow dry as not only might it scare them, they have very tender skin that could burn very easily.

Also wanted to mention - I rescued a boy, Tony, a few months back and he was STTTTTTTTANKY when we got him and after just one night in a new clean cage, clean pouch, GOOD food (his previous diet was horrid) he smelled MUCH better even after the first day and progressively every day through the first week! I would also HIGHLY recommend a vet check as Tony died three weeks after we got him which the vet attributed highly to malnutrition from long term diet frown. He was calcium defficient and though he didn't look sick to us, as they usually dont', it caused him to have an unhealthy immune system and he got an infection either in his brain or kidney.

Good luck with the new kiddos! You're going to do great! smile

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help [Re: ] #266735
04/20/07 12:33 PM
04/20/07 12:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

PureAyre works great for deoderizing the environment, but I wouldn't spray directly on gliders. There's also a sugar glider "dry shampoo" but I haven't used it and if the Cottonelle wipes are safe, then that's cheaper than ordering something else online and paying shipping! Congratulations!

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help [Re: ] #266740
04/20/07 12:44 PM
04/20/07 12:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great job on researching! Too many people don't. I had to convince a friend that frosting is not suitable for a licky treat. Yikes!
I use the wipes on the cage.

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help [Re: ] #266746
04/20/07 12:56 PM
04/20/07 12:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I used the pureayre as well and its great!

I use Kaytee EZ Care Quick Clean to clean the cage with... Its wonderful too!

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please Help [Re: ] #266766
04/20/07 01:26 PM
04/20/07 01:26 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
I think you have gotten some great advice … let me just add… Hello and Welcome to GC!

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: Xglider] #266944
04/20/07 06:19 PM
04/20/07 06:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i appreciate everyone for helping me.. Can i rub the Cottonelle wipes on them because there fur is a little yellow..do you have any advice toys on what to put in the cage?.. Thanks everyone i appreciate the help..they also have a conditioner ..and i am not sure if to use it..
this is the website they recommend me http://www.sugar-gliders.com/store/merch...amp;WT.mc_n=Osg

Last edited by bassist088; 04/20/07 06:24 PM.
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #267083
04/20/07 10:07 PM
04/20/07 10:07 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Yes, you can rub the Cottonelle wipes on your gliders and it should help to clean up some of the yellowing of the fur. Just make sure you towel-dry the gliders afterwards. Suncoast is an excellent web site and they have a good diet that you can follow, too. The glider conditioner is okay to use, but not really necessary normally. I'm not sure how much it would help in your situation or not...

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: sugarglidersuz] #267115
04/20/07 10:56 PM
04/20/07 10:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Welcome to GC!! I apologize, I really can't help you-I don't have any gliders! Sorry... But congratulations on your new fuzzbutts!!

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: sugarglidersuz] #267117
04/20/07 10:59 PM
04/20/07 10:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well i tried the wipes and no luck..they still smell..(really bad) so i guess i am just going to have to try the dry shampoo... because its like embedded in there fur..which really gets me upset because they're so sweet...but oh so smelly! smile i will post up some pictures soon..i really do appreciate everyone for the help! and if u can just keep it coming i would gladly appreciate it!..also some people tell me not to give a mix of fruit but just put one type (grape one day & mealworms, next day papaya and mealworms..ect.) also to put something called glider-aid.... If anyone can really help me out i would gladly appreciate it with a very good food routine and there stench..i think i am going to get the nail filer for the wheel

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #267124
04/20/07 11:10 PM
04/20/07 11:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What diet are/were they on? Odor isn't always just there, but CAN be a product of poor diet. I've never had a reason to have to wipe my gliders down because of smell...

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #267239
04/21/07 01:39 AM
04/21/07 01:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i am not really sure of the diet.. they told me that they gave them a sorbet, the apple juice, baby dry cereal, wheat germ, boiled eggs, honey and the vitamins and calcium.they said they would puree it in the blender. we just got them 2 days ago, but now im feeding them a different fruit everyday and mealworms, i fed them the food mixture the first night i had them.

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #267242
04/21/07 01:46 AM
04/21/07 01:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Even their coat on there little white belly has a yellowish tint to it.. and that has me a little upset that the previous owner never took care of them.. there acctualy super sweet except for the occasional "love bites". .. blush

Last edited by bassist088; 04/21/07 01:47 AM.
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #267244
04/21/07 01:51 AM
04/21/07 01:51 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I would not suggest the dry shampoo. Not that it is unsafe but, gliders are very scent oriented. By using the dry shampoo, you are removing their scents. This can lead them to marking more to get their scent back. Also, I have heard of way to many gliders who fought terribly after their owner using the dry shampoo. It was like they did not recognize each other.

You have two males. If they are intact, they will smell much worse. Neutering will drastically reduce this odor. Also, you do not want the son mating with the mom and honestly, since these are rescues, they should not breed any more anyway.

Please do get them on one of the diets in the diet links. You will find that their health will improve and their smell will dimenish.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: Dancing] #267252
04/21/07 02:01 AM
04/21/07 02:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what can i do about the yellowish tint on them.. because there previous owner didnt clean there pouch much so he had all 3 sleeping in one pouch which was reaking...and i cleand the pouch and i have cleaned the cage and i was like "man why does it still smell?" so then when i sniffed them i was like OMG so now i am really kind of stuck.. BTW i really appreciate the help from everyone..its the first time me using a forum board like this and its kind of cool seeing how everyone here is like a family watching over and helping each other smile Thanks alot ..Friends!

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #267255
04/21/07 02:04 AM
04/21/07 02:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it may be that they need to be on a better diet and you need to give it time for the smell to wear off. Dancing made some very valid points about shampooing them. I would do nothing more than the wipes and give it time. I'm sorry they aren't a dog that can just be washed in the tub and all is well!

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #267903
04/22/07 03:51 AM
04/22/07 03:51 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Bad diet is one possible cause, along with their former living conditions. Illness can also do it, so if they haven't been vet checked yet I'd suggest doing that. It's going to take time-even a month or so- for the smell to go away, provided they're on a proven diet (see the GC diet lists), they're healthy, and their environment kept clean. I had a rescue pair (I'll attach a pic) that despite a couple "baths" it still took about a month for the smell to go away.

Also, unneutered males can have an odor (from marking, urine, and the scent glands) that can be offensive to some. Neutering will greatly reduce that aspect of things.

Here's a pic of Fox and Dana (the pair I mentioned with baby) that came from conditions similar to what you describe:

Attached Files
8008-MomDadBaby001.jpg (65 downloads)
8009-MomDadBaby002.jpg (49 downloads)

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: Xfilefan] #268061
04/22/07 02:18 PM
04/22/07 02:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Xfilefan thanks alot but i was wondering what type of "bath" did u describe..

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #268433
04/23/07 12:30 AM
04/23/07 12:30 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I use water only. With Riker in his Ecollar it was easy, but with the non tame rescues pictured, it was a little more challenging.

First, sanitize a small sink (cleanser works) and rinse VERY, VERY well. Fill with about 2 inches of water. The temp should be thus-if you put your wrist in it, it should feel like it's not there...that's the proper temp.

With my rescues, I wrapped them up in a washcloth like a little burrito (this may take some doing, depending on the disposition of the gliders). Put glider, washcloth and all submersed in the plain water until soaked thru-a few minutes. IF the glider will allow, rub it around a little (the washcloth). Have plain tissues and a towel ready. Once done, put glider in the towel and remove the wet washcloth. Use the tissues to wick away the majority of water (it works really well, and better than the towel alone). Then hold the glider (rub if possible) in the towel for a few minutes. Finally, keep the wet gliders ON YOU in a bonding pouch under a robe, jacket, etc., until fully dry. Gliders are much like cats...they can swim, but few like being wet. It can help some with discoloration from filthy surroundings, and bad diet, and smell, and may take a couple times. Time is the ultimate "cure" tho...but this can make them somewhat more tolerable in the meantime.
I hope this helps.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: Xfilefan] #277645
05/03/07 01:54 PM
05/03/07 01:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does it matter that they jump and at times may miss and fall?

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #277658
05/03/07 02:12 PM
05/03/07 02:12 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
As suggested earlier, you should probably take them to a glider knowledgeable vet to have them checked. If they were not on a proper diet, they might have some medical problems.

How are they falling? Are they not jumping far enough, or are they not able to hold on once they get there? If they weren't properly cared for, their nails may also be too long and are just not able to grip. Again, a vet could help with trimming those if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: TracieB] #277664
05/03/07 02:16 PM
05/03/07 02:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sometimes they just don't jump far enough but most of the time it's when they get there that they can't hold on, they will end up sliding down whatever they jumped on and falling on the floor.

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #277675
05/03/07 02:28 PM
05/03/07 02:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

off_topic

Hi! I was just wondering what part of FL you are from. smile

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #277680
05/03/07 02:32 PM
05/03/07 02:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Miami

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #277761
05/03/07 03:29 PM
05/03/07 03:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:
they will end up sliding down whatever they jumped on and falling on the floor

Huh, that doesn't sound right at all...Have you looked for a glider knowledgeable vet in your area yet? If so, you may want to make an appointment now. Besides, it's a scary thing when something happens to a glider and you're scrambling aorund in an emergency to find a vet because they've never been to one yet. A little preparation will help out SO much!

BTW, where's a pic and WELCOME!

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #277807
05/03/07 04:12 PM
05/03/07 04:12 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
As Leisl said, that really doesn't sound normal unless it's something that there's no way they can hold on to - like a flat wall.

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: TracieB] #277832
05/03/07 04:48 PM
05/03/07 04:48 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
If you just cut their nails, they do this, but otherwise - I would see a vet. (I would get a checkup anyways, but...)

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: I just recived my first set of gliders Please [Re: ] #277863
05/03/07 05:23 PM
05/03/07 05:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: bassist088
Miami

Cool. dance .. I live in Pembroke Pines..... I have a friend she's in GC too... she lives in Cutler ridge,, she has 4 gliders and 4 little joeys... i bought a baby girl from her..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024