Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Help with overgrooming and poor appetite #307997
06/07/07 04:09 AM
06/07/07 04:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was wondering about a mixture of tea tree oil and water? It works for dogs and people, doesn't smell too great, but is it toxic to gliders? My girl has 3 bald spots on her head, been to 3 different vets, two of which are local and only work with cows! One recommended another vet and she really, really tried to help. Mine has been sick for about 2 months, and just seems to go from one thing to another and they are always a mystery! It started when she chewed off the end of her tail. That was taken care of immediately, antibiotics, collar, etc. The hair still hasn't grown back, so it has to stay covered still. Can't grow back with a bandaid on I'm sure, but I have to keep it covered or she remembers it's there to chew on. Sunday night she was obsessed with her pouch. Licking furiously. No bite marks that I could tell, no redness. She stopped eating again the night before. Started hissing when she would go to the bathroom and seemed like she was constantly trying to go... like straining. Had to put her back on Pedialyte. The vet gave her SQ fluids Tues. And she got up about 7 p.m. to eat just a little. She only wants peas... and maybe a little fruit juice. Now she's not hissing, but has mild diarrhea (again)! vet didn't see anything unusual in her float or the other test. She had some kind of eye infection along with her tail recovery...seems like it just won't go away, almost though. vet says maybe a little scarring on the eye, but to not put any over the counter topicals on her for ringworm, she wasn't sure what fungicides they could have or not. She is supposed to consult with another vet and give me a call as soon as she has a clue what to do with her. She is very interested in getting into exotics, I just hate to be the "first" one! Anyone have a clue what might be keeping her from getting well. I'm exhausted after 2 months of 2 good days, then 4 bad, 1 good, 2 bad, 3 good 2 bad....you get the idea.

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 06/07/07 06:59 AM. Reason: to change title after splitting thread
Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308000
06/07/07 04:35 AM
06/07/07 04:35 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I need to know a couple of things before I can adequately reply:

What is her diet (everything)

and Is she a lone glider? (meaning no cagemate)

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308004
06/07/07 04:48 AM
06/07/07 04:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BML, a little papaya, pineapple, some peas, few pieces corn, mealworms (the exotice nutrition cooked in can), she stopped eating those though. vet said to just continue with BML but she won't eat it unless I put some juice in it. She is also "yellowish" not really really dark yellow, just very light. She doesn't like carrots, so I don't think it's that. She hasn't eaten too much of anything except peas with a little BML and juice in the last 2 months. It's a lot less since Sunday though. Glad she had the SQ fluids, she seemed like she had a little more energy after, not sleeping 24/7. I make her get up to eat, but she doesn't really try. Wish the vet would hurry and "consult" and call me back. Yes, she's alone. She has always been since her mom got mean to her and she chewed her own thumb off about 3 yrs. ago. She's been fine with just me and being caged beside her mom. But dad died right before Christmas...don't know what happened, he was the healthiest of all 3, one morning he was gone? I don't know if it had anything to do with that or not, but she's not coming back to me and I'm getting very very tired....too many vets around, but none exotic since mine moved away.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308006
06/07/07 04:55 AM
06/07/07 04:55 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
You're on the right track with diet...but it needs some work.

Is the yellow her FUR...or her SKIN? (Very Important)

The answers to these are important. A large part of her problem might be stress (which includes dietary) and loneliness-which can account for both the bald spots and tail chewing.

I'm at work, and need to check in a guest (hotel) but I'll be back to read and refine my answer in a few minutes based on your reply. smile

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308010
06/07/07 05:06 AM
06/07/07 05:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it's mostly her fur on her belly, but her claws are definitely yellowish, I don't think, since she won't come out much...that her skin is real yellow. Maybe just one spot on the top of her head, which is why I asked about ringworm...not sure what it would look like on them? She didn't seem to think it was, and my blacklight doesn't glow any fluorescent green or bright...I was afraid somehow it might me from some aflatoxin, but the vet didn't seem too worried about that...as for the diet, she really doesn't want anything, just mostly her pediatlye, but I have to put a little honey in it or she won't drink it either...I've read so much stuff in the last two months, everything I think she has! LOL And she just won't get well. I just wonder if I should put her back on antibiotic (LA 200) She seemed to be doing pretty good then, but then the eye problem and one of the first vets said Tetracycline causes dry eye and maybe stop that and continue eye ointment see if it clears up, and it did....then she started with the licking pouch and diarrhea, slight hissing when she would urinate and I pretty sure that was really dark yellow yesterday, usually it's clear. But she stopped hissing but is still straining and small amounts of soft stool, then straining for nothing... poor thing is going to have a prolapsed rectum if she doesn't stop that! Stool is green also. After the tail it was yellow water, slowly firmed, then normal, now it's really soft again....What in the world?

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308011
06/07/07 05:08 AM
06/07/07 05:08 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Now, if she really doesn't like the BML, there are other diets you can try to make sure she gets her vitamins/minerals daily. She also needs an assortment of fruits/veggies, and the citrus (ie pineapple, orange, grapefruit, starfruit) needs to be severely limited-gliders don't handle acidic foods well. We can make some suggestions. Canned bugs are fine (but not too many) since they aren't an integral part of the diet, but mostly there for cleaning the teeth in most of them (including the BML).

Also, do you mix the BML exactly according to directions? Or is it a leadbeaters, but not necessarily B (Bourbon's) Modified Leadbeaters? That can make a difference.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308012
06/07/07 05:12 AM
06/07/07 05:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She doesn't like BML that much at all. She only gets very small amount of pineapple every other day, but hasn't eaten it in 2 months. She has NEVER like boiled eggs so I only put about half of one in the modified mix, she still doesn't like it. About the wheat germ??? The only kind we have around here is toasted, is that the way it always is?? I had never bought any before, so I didn't know....

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308013
06/07/07 05:15 AM
06/07/07 05:15 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I was typing while you were to fill time.

The reason I asked about the yellow, is if it's skin (hands, feet, nose, ears) it can indicate a liver problem.

The hissing when peeing definitely indicates a probable UTI, especially with her paying more attention to the cloacal area. The most commonly prescribed meds for that in a glider are Baytril, Clavamox, Clindamycin, or Trimethoprim sulfa, depending on the bacteria. Tetracycline isn't a great choice for gliders, unless all else fails. I can give you some phone numbers on glider experienced vets that will consult with yours.

The head (are the bald patches above the eyes and to the sides of the black stripe?) are most likely overgrooming-gliders are social animals, and lack of a cagemate tends to produce this. Especially if combined with illness. And it definitelly sounds like she's got a bacterial issue.

Also, if I can ask-what kind of a cage is she in...ie galvanized wire, painted, pvc coated, and what are your cleaning methods, and how often? Age of glider? Sleeping arrangements and toys? Out of cage time with you? All of these can contribute to issues.

And Welcome to Glider Central, also! wave

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308014
06/07/07 05:20 AM
06/07/07 05:20 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Here are the diet links. Any one you choose, follow the directions EXACTLY or it will throw off your vitamin/mineral and Calcium/phosphorus ratios inherent in the diet. The most popular proven diets, other than BML, are:

WHP
Suncoast (uses Zookeeper's Secret soft pellets)
Darcy's (uses Ensure as a staple, and sometimes the only thing a glider will eat in the way of a staple)
Priscilla Price's Pet Glider diet

Stay away from hard pellets.
Link:
http://www.glidercentral.net/links/pages/Glider_Care___Information/Diet___Nutrition/index.html

And here are two of my vets that would be more than happy to consult/help yours by phone:

Foothill Animal Clinic / Wasatch Exotic Pet Care
Dr. Laurel M. Harris, DVM 2675 East Parley's Way Salt Lake City, UT 84109 Located inside the Foothill Animal Clinic (801) 485-4736 (phone number) (801) 485-1856 (fax number)

Parrish Creek Veterinary Clinic
Douglas W Folland, DVM 86 North 70 West Centerville, UT 84014 (801) 298-2014

My phone numbers are also listed in my signature-you are welcome to call for help any time.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308015
06/07/07 05:26 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She's been in a small coated wire cage for 2 months since the tail. Had a big one from Exotic Nutrition, but had to take her to work with me in the small one and she didn't like the big one when her tail healed. Just sat on bottom all night. She's pretty spoiled, likes to ride around with me all day! I just checked on her, and I think her skin is just really pale, not quite yellow. I'm not too sure, but I don't think it looks like the pics of the ones with jaundice....not yet anyway. Yes, the bald spots started above the eyes, same time as tail incident. then just seemed to keep popping up, one tiny one in the middle. The cage was always clean, that's why we (me and the vet) didn't think it was contamination or fungus, etc... but you never know with fungus, it's always among us! ha ha. She's about 5 yrs. old and has been with me almost every day. Went to work a lot more until she got sick, I thought she might just want to be left since she sleeps most of the time anyway. She just got up and looked at me and went right back to bed. She has a pouch and a bamboo house. She doesn't like the bamboo house though.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308016
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I've also asked for your part of this thread to be split off from the other member's so your situation gets the attention it should, and you can update. smile

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308017
06/07/07 05:30 AM
06/07/07 05:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh thank you! That's great. It's nice to hear from someone who knows what kind of animal I'm even talking about! LOL Small town, not a lot of exotics here! Phone numbers would be great. vet said she would ask a guy who still works at the college they went to and call me, but I don't know when...(sigh). She didn't take any blood. do you think that needs to be done?

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308018
06/07/07 05:35 AM
06/07/07 05:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Also, I'm a big mole and gopher hunter, can't stay out of the dirt! I had to go to doc last week for spot on my arm, he said it was fungus from "playin" in the dirt, and told me to stop it. He just doesn't understand...I CAN'T...I'm obsessed with stopping these rodents from tearing up my yard and plus it's nice to get outside since it warmed up, etc. He thinks I'm crazy and I'm related to the guy on Caddyshack! That's why I'm so convinced that it has something to do with fungus...but nothing is glowing on blacklight, not even MY SPOT...he prescribed Clortrimazole with betamethasone. I have to put on my hands too, my cuticles have slight "itch." Maybe she doesn't like the smell??? Or maybe toxic. vet says they can have some steroids when needed so that part should be ok, but maybe fungicides. She wasn't sure which is safe or not.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308019
06/07/07 05:39 AM
06/07/07 05:39 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Internet went down, lol. While I'm retyping my reply...no, I don't think blood needs drawn at this point. They need to go under anesthesia, and the vet really needs to know what they're doing. Give me a few to get my prior reply retyped. crazy

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308022
06/07/07 05:51 AM
06/07/07 05:51 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
What you describe is common to overgrooming, and not to ringworm, in all honesty. When I get home after 8 MT I can post some pics in your thread. I have 2 that overgroom for different reasons...one is a lone glider who will not accept a cagemate.

What you need to do is fix the diet, treat the UTI (next paragraph) and either get her a cagemate (such as a rescue or another adult glider-neutered male or female-that needs rehomed), and enrich her environment with more toys/things to do.

The fact she's paying more attention to her 'backside' plus the hissing when peeing says UTI very loudly-they are two of the most common symptoms. If a C&S can't be done (culture and sensitivity) on the bacteria from a urine sample, first choice is normally Baytril for 2 weeks, twice daily, at a weight appropriate dosage your vet can figure.

For toys, GC has some wonderful vendors who go to extremes to provide glider safe and enriching toys for our little buddies (for instance-catnip is toxic to gliders-so a lot of cat toys are not a good idea). Here's the link to the classifieds area:

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/60/page/1

A vet is a must. Like I said, mine have consulted with other members, and will be MORE than happy to help yours. You can also call me if you have diet/toy questions, etc. First, tho, you need to get her healthy. Know that a UTI can happen even with a clean cage, because of the design of the cloaca (backside) and the way they mark their territory. NO MED is going to help the overgrooming. Fixing her diet, enriching her environment, and a cagemate will most likely fix that...it is common with lone gliders, and they actually take the hair off themselves, which is why meds won't work.

If we know where you are, when you're ready, we also can put you in touch with a rescue home that could adopt a cagemate for your girl to you. An adult neutered male, or another female, would be best for her.

Edit: I need to go get some work done now, but keep us updated, and if any other immediate questions, I'll check here in a little while. Hang in there, and we are happy to keep helping. hug2

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308023
06/07/07 06:00 AM
06/07/07 06:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I still have her mom, who is alone now since the dad died, she's fine, and played together for a while, but was afraid to put them together with her being sick. Is it ok to put mom and baby back together, they seem to play fine. I was going to try to put them together when her tail healed, but then she got other problems, one right after the other...I'm in Oklahoma, but after this one, I really don't think I want to get any extras...especially since a close vet is too hard to find here. They both have had lots of toys and wodent wheels, plus the gerbil ball (she used to really like that, but not anymore). I've taken most of her toys and pouches, anything cloth out only because of the "fungus" scare. Figured it would be better since she wasn't using any other ones anyway. She just sticks to one now. I noticed her belly fur now is not really yellow, but mostly an "orange" color. What hair she had left on her tail, is really thin too. I have to get some sleep, it's almost 5 a.m. here but I really really really thank you! I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks again!

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308025
06/07/07 06:09 AM
06/07/07 06:09 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Here is a list of other members vets in OK-who knows? One might be near you. smile There are 10 listed for OK.

And as long as A-they don't fight, and B-Mom doesn't bother her tail (watch for her to pay attention to the daughter's tail) it should be fine to reintroduce. Be cautious, as if they've been apart awhile it could be rocky going at first.

Here's the link:

http://www.glidercentral.net/links/pages/Vets_Database/United_States/Oklahoma/index.html

And make sure to keep us updated. thumb

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #308542
06/07/07 05:02 PM
06/07/07 05:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you so much. I think I will call the vet today since she hasn't called me back YET. Will probably get the Baytril and see if she would want to call one of your numbers. My baby got up and ate some mealworms today! That's great for her since she's only been eating a few peas and drinking her pedialyte water! Yeah! I'll keep in touch. Thank you again!

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308749
06/07/07 10:07 PM
06/07/07 10:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

vet was busy when I called but receptionist said she did have some information for me and she would call me back pretty quick. She did and said she contacted her classmate and she said yes to the baytril. And if possible, if momma doesn't try to hurt her tail, to try to put them together and maybe we will be on the road to recovery!!! :-) She doesn't like the cranberry/water mix...maybe too strong or sour smelling?? Dont' know, but with meds, I'm hoping she'll be back to normal soon. She's so sweet, had her since she was born and she's the friendliest one. Will let you know how she's doing soon. vet said she would definitely like to have the numbers you gave me. Thank you again, she's so willing to learn more about exotics, I hope she continues to do so. She's not too far from here and she's really nice too. JUST LIKE YOU GUYS ALL ARE!!! THANKS AGAIN!

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #308980
06/08/07 07:49 AM
06/08/07 07:49 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
You are more than welcome. Cranberry is very acidic, and most gliders really don't care for it. Why were you offering cranberry juice?

Make sure and keep us updated..you're a member of GC's family now, and we all worry about everyone's gliders around here. smile

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #310036
06/09/07 04:20 PM
06/09/07 04:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The cranberry juice was very, very diluted with water because I read another post by Morrighann that said it helps to prevent UTI, but I was hoping it would help clear it faster, but she won't try it anyway. Also, how in the world do you get them to take the meds. I tried to put it in the food, she won't eat...I tried a little bit of water, she can smell it, it smells really bad to me too. I tried with the very small med syringe the vet gave me and made her take it by itself and I'm sure it's really really bad! I don't like having to do it like that, but I can't keep guessing if she ate it or drank it or waiting for a better idea, so last night for her third dose, I was trying to get her to take it and she opened her mouth really good, but the meds came out all at once (not my intention at all!) And she took off running, foaming at the mouth and then threw up! I was scared to death! I thought I killed her! I don't know any other way of getting it in her...plus she still has to have the antibiotic ointment in her eye and I know she hates me now! Another thing, now I'm starting all over again with the tail, she took the very end of it off last night again, and it was finally healed...after 2 months of doctoring and collars, etc......I'm exhausted, and I don't think I'm getting anywhere.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #311384
06/11/07 08:59 AM
06/11/07 08:59 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
If a glider won't take meds willingly-they have to go down the hard way. I've had to force meds on a number of gliders-trust me, they don't hate you. Only two I've had would take them willingly, and only one of two they were on-the other went down by syringe. hug2 Illness can actually strengthen a bond, and does in most cases, despite (or maybe because of) the meds, collar, etc. This thread, the first 3 posts have pictures on how to force feed meds by syringe:

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/170750/page/1#Post170750

Unfortunately, a lot of the time, unlike dogs or cats where you can hide it in a favorite treat, a glider isn't fooled-their sense of smell is much better.

I always follow meds with a treat like a yogurt drop or meal worm-whatever that glider really likes, to make up for shoving the nasty tasting stuff down, and holding until they swallow.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #324439
06/26/07 12:38 AM
06/26/07 12:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's been a long time since I came back here, but thought I would update...my baby girl seems to be quite a bit better now. Might have wasted "maybe" 4 doses of baytril over 14 days worth since it was so hard to force feed, and I wondered if I should maybe get more from the vet to make up for it? She seems to be doing ok. no hissing anymore. Her appetite is slightly better, moving on to more than just peas now. Shes eating small amounts of the mix, (never been too crazy about it, but her mom has always loved it). Was slowly trying different fruits and veggies on her, but she still doesn't like carrots, never has, my book says honeydew...Got some of that, sure have a lot of it now!!! Those are giant melons! Anyway, she loves that, but is it really acidic like pineapples or oranges, etc...I don't want another UTI again. I read if it comes back right away, it might be even harder to get rid of the next time. Longer antibiotics, and that wasn't pleasant for either one of us. (I'm sure more unpleasant for her than for me! yuck). I'm out of Glidercal so need to order some quickly. Shouldn't they be able to go at least a couple of days without it? I have liquid calcium I had to give her some time ago for HLP when her mom was mean to her, she got depressed before the tail incident and wasn't getting to eat. I wonder if I could put a few drops of that on their food until the order comes in?? Any idea? Also, the mix says to use Herptivite and Repcal. Is that better than Glider Cal and Glider booster mixed together. Those two say to mix 1/2 and 1/2 tsp. per pound of food...That's what I've been using all along, just wondered if the baby would like it better if it was Herptivite and Rep cal??? There's too many things that say they can be used for different animals, and I never know which is REALLY ok or not. I know I always hit you with a "million" questions at once, but I work at a newspaper, and I never have a lot of time to get on here...have to get it all in at once! LOL How about monkey biscuits, they used to eat the standard ones my parents would get for me at a pet store in Joplin, Mo., but the guy said they were discontinued...I have a catalog from Exotic Nutrition that says they have them, but can't find them on their website. Just the orange flavored ones, and they didn't want those at all. Mom couldn't even get the squirrels in the back yard to eat those! LOLOL :-) I sure appreciate any and all advice, you sure have helped me a lot, she's looking better than she has in 2 1/2 months. Hope she's finally going to recover. Oh yeah, I believe the hair is slowly starting to grow back over on the tail and this time it looks like the skin is closing over the bone...Just getting better and better. Hope is keeps going that way! Thanks again!

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #324498
06/26/07 01:48 AM
06/26/07 01:48 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Hi,
I'm going to make a suggestion that MIGHT help with the tail issue. There is some stuff called Collastat. It is a bitter spray that tastes NASTY and has helped several gliders with tail injuries. You just spray it on twice a day.

You can order it here
http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=772

Also, you mentioned Joplin MO. I'm about a hour (perhaps a little less) north of Joplin in KS (right on the MO state line). Where are you located? I will be glad to help if I can.

BML should be made with the Herptivite and Reptical, not the other vitamins. BML, made and fed like directed, is a good diet but if she won't eat it, then it isn't a good diet for HER. Have you looked at and considered any of the other diets?

Also, Honeydew is not acidic as far as I know and my gliders eat it almost every day without issue.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Dancing] #335624
07/10/07 09:35 PM
07/10/07 09:35 PM

B
Boogie
Unregistered
Boogie
Unregistered
B

Sorry I haven't been here in sooooo long...My baby was getting so much better after antibiotics (baytril) then just 2 nights ago I heard her running in her wodent wheel and she would hiss a little. Checked on her and she hadn't gone to the bathroom, so don't think it is UTI still (or again?), but she had two small slightly red spots halfway up her "half" tail she has left. She runs in her wheel a lot, and I thought maybe it was rubbing on the bottom of the wheel because the two red spots were on two joints of the tail. So I put some pieces of mole skins scattered in the wheel, because it's soft, and seemed like she stopped hissing for a night, then next night she was doing it again. Now she is obsessed with the cloacal area again. Looks like she might have made a small bite mark there??? Not sure. There's one little tiny "hole" on the side of it. Don't know if she's sick again, or she's just obsessed with being self mutilating. vet gave me more Baytril, 21 days worth this time...I hate doing that. She hates it even more than I do. Thinking maybe it was still UTI and can't figure out why it won't go away. She's getting better with the mixed food, still not too crazy about it. She mostly likes her corn and peas, I just wonder if maybe the corn is causing UTI?? I don't know. And her tail is totally healed on the end now, but I'm afraid to leave her tiny bandaid off because then she remembers it's there and gets obsessed with it. But the hair won't grow back at all. It's grown over the end, but about 1 1/2 inches up it's still totally bald, not even and fuzzy or whiskery hairs... I thought maybe she would have to go to the vet and have the rest of her tail removed, but then I figure she would just "eat" something else! I don't know what else to do except antibiotics again for 21 days and see how she does from there. Also, I'm trying to remember why I might have mentioned Joplin??? LOLOL I can't remember...unless it was where the pet supply store was that my mom and dad got the monkey biscuits from??? Not sure, but I'm in Oklahoma. My parents are from Missouri so they went there quite a bit but that place stopped getting the biscuits they used to like, Unless that was Lebanon, Mo. I'm sorry, I'm not sure! LOLOL I might try the spray you mentioned, I'm always afraid to try anything on them since so much is almost toxic to them. But I'm really having trouble getting her e-collar on her now that she's not so lethargic! LOLOL I thank you for your help and will try to update more often. Newspaper and critters keep me pretty busy lately! thanks again.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #335671
07/10/07 10:13 PM
07/10/07 10:13 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Jen, I haven't read all this yet but with the symptoms and the green poo, it sounds like it could be Giardia (sp?)

Going back to reading now

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: SugarBlossoms] #335679
07/10/07 10:22 PM
07/10/07 10:22 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I didn't notice the dates of the first posts. smile

Have you tried putting her back with her mom? It really sounds like she is stressing.

I sure hope she gets well soon! It's scary when a glider is ill frown

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: SugarBlossoms] #335708
07/10/07 10:53 PM
07/10/07 10:53 PM

B
Boogie
Unregistered
Boogie
Unregistered
B

She gets to play with her outside of the cage with me, because I'm afraid she'll bite on her tail too, since it looks so strange. I know she didn't like her a while back, but that was before the dad died. I'm just afraid to let them in the pouch since she might hurt her more than she's hurting herself. She pays too much attention to it when they're just out of the cage with me. Was waiting for the hair to grow back some so it won't be so noticeable...but that's not going to happen I don't think. Don't know why? There's no injury except where she chewed it off on the end and the hair is long enough there to cover the end.

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: ] #335942
07/11/07 03:36 AM
07/11/07 03:36 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
It really sounds like she may have some more infection in there, perhaps one resistant to or not responding to the Baytril. The vet needs to rule out a break, then I'd recommend a med combo...since she's already been on the Baytril, next step would be to go for 14 days of either Clavamox or Clindamycin AND Flagyl (flagyl will cover the anaerobic bacteria part of the spectrum, that most others don't). In other words, two meds at once. That's if nothing is broken in there. I'm sorry she's still having trouble with it, but glad the UTI seems better!

Re: Help with overgrooming and poor appetite [Re: Xfilefan] #335963
07/11/07 05:26 AM
07/11/07 05:26 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Jen, you know the medical stuff best smile

I'll offer companion advice. LOL

Give her a little SAFE stuffed animal that is soft and will fit in her pouch so she has a cuddle buddy. (no beanie baby toys, they can swallow those if opened) You can even make a little cuddle toy out of fleece for her. Something for her to hold while she sleeps. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024