Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Taking your suggie out with you? #370665
08/26/07 02:24 AM
08/26/07 02:24 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I've heard that people take their suggies out with them. (Store, movies, etc.) Does this not stress them out? And do they even allow them to be with you in most places?

I've been doing research on them for about a month, and haven't heard of doing this before today. dunno

And I thought that tent time sounded a little odd. Haha.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #370668
08/26/07 02:32 AM
08/26/07 02:32 AM

S
sugarsosweet
Unregistered
sugarsosweet
Unregistered
S

then where the heck have you been doing research? we do it all the time.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #370670
08/26/07 02:33 AM
08/26/07 02:33 AM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

I take mine with me almost everywhere and no one can ever tell I have them. they are either in my bra or in a pouch that looks like a purse. I'm sure the restaurants I go to wouldn't appreciate them being there but they sleep the whole time. It doesn't stress them out at all, if anything it is good for them to be near you, it helps them stay bonded.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #370671
08/26/07 02:34 AM
08/26/07 02:34 AM

R
Rhapsody
Unregistered
Rhapsody
Unregistered
R

I personally feel once your glider has bonded to you that taking them out from time to time will not stress them..... actually they will enjoy the experience with you.

And as far as TENT time goes.... you really have to experience IT to truly appreciate the intimacy it will give to you and your glider(s).

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #370683
08/26/07 03:03 AM
08/26/07 03:03 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
Hm. I never really thought of doing that. And I've been doing my research.... All over the place. What if they start barking if you're at the movies? I'm sure there would be some confused/upset people. XD

Since they sleep the entire time, would taking it to school be okay, so long as you have permission to have it there?

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #370684
08/26/07 03:09 AM
08/26/07 03:09 AM

R
Rhapsody
Unregistered
Rhapsody
Unregistered
R

School would be fine..... but I would leave them at home for the movies.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #370687
08/26/07 03:18 AM
08/26/07 03:18 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I guess the loud noises like explosions would scare them... ohwell

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #370694
08/26/07 04:23 AM
08/26/07 04:23 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

You want to take them with you during the DAY ONLY. It should not be near nighttime where they'd be active and barking.

Not all places are OK with you having animals. But most places will never know you have them with you if you are discreet. People just think the bonding pouch is another purse and I am a bag lady roflmao hope this helps

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #370730
08/26/07 09:35 AM
08/26/07 09:35 AM
Eastern NC
melek007 Offline
Glider Addict
melek007  Offline
Glider Addict

Eastern NC
I used to take Alev out in a bonding pouch under my jacket. Since she's my bra baby, I just put her in and go. She will sleep and not come out. I've even had ALL three of my gliders in my bra before; I just had to be careful what I wore, I didn't want to look like I was sagging in the middle! wink
When they're on you, they feel safe (if you're bonded). I've even hugged people and they weren't bothered (the gliders, not the people. They didn't even know they were there). Word of caution: don't hug real close if you're packing marsupial!

~ I miss my Alev, Nese & Levent ~
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: melek007] #370777
08/26/07 12:15 PM
08/26/07 12:15 PM

R
RambosMom
Unregistered
RambosMom
Unregistered
R

I take Rambo to the store with me all the time - he's usually on me all day because i love knowing we are bonding while he sleeps - AND while he's awake.

I only take him around during the day - never at night when he should be eating or playing - only while he's sleeping.

I did take him with me to the movies yesterday (which i probably won't do again) but it was a children's movie so there weren't any loud explosions or jumpy noises and we sat AWAY from the speakers. He didn't wake up at all - and i was sure he would smell the popcorn and want to come out - but no...he didn't.

From the theater we went to a mexican restaurant - he poked his head out there for some water and that was all. he went back to sleep - no problem.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #370801
08/26/07 01:18 PM
08/26/07 01:18 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
I take mine everywhere as well!! I have not had any prob even in a few resturants where my little girl anounced what i had. They all wanted to see them. I took them with me to the docs one time thinking they would never know cause they would sellp and hunni dicided to crab and not stop. Everyone was looking around and i was worried we would be asked to leave but then somone wanted to see them and then the nurces even all came into the room once we got into one to see them. Most places and people do not care about them and if they do notice them they normaly want to learn about them.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ssdreamsicles] #370813
08/26/07 01:48 PM
08/26/07 01:48 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
I can't wait till I get mine so I can be one of the take your glider everywhere mommies. laugh Except to resturants and movies. It seems kind of mean to make them smell the good food and not let them have any. frown

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: Kiiru] #370821
08/26/07 02:05 PM
08/26/07 02:05 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Dont deny them the right to eat at fine resteraunts and watch good movies too. LOL. When you go out to eat and you have your babies with you can always give them a little of your grilled chicken or fresh veggies or fruit from the salad bars. There are a number of things you can give them as a treat when you go out to eat. Also as far as going to the movies, you can always bring their favorite treat with so they can have a nibble or two while your enjoying your popcorn. When you take your suggies out with you, you have to treat them like your babies and bring necessaties almost like you would with a baby (diaper bag). LOL
Dont let little things scare you from bringing you little furbutts with you everywhere.

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: Sherri] #370839
08/26/07 02:28 PM
08/26/07 02:28 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Thanks Sherry. I didn't think of that. I'd just be a little paranoid about the food having or being near garlic or onion at one point since that's what's used most in food which is why I was unsure about it. frown I'd probably end up bringing my own fruit or treats for them.

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: Kiiru] #370900
08/26/07 04:17 PM
08/26/07 04:17 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I love the idea of a diaper bag! That's so cute!

I found a post that someone put up with a no-sew bonding pouch, and LOVED the idea. It's so cute! Plus, I have a purse that I could use for a diaper bag, because any other time, I wouldn't take it out with me. Not because I don't like it, but because I don't have any use for it.

If I were to want to take it to school, would I just have to ask the principal and all of my teachers?

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #370915
08/26/07 04:32 PM
08/26/07 04:32 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Probably. I don't think school would be a good place to bring your gliders for bonding though. You won't really be able to talk to them or offer them licky treats once in a while without interrupting other people or having a flock of kids surrounding you and stressing the poor critters out. You'd have to deal with that either way. Then you'll have to deal with people wanting to get gliders because they are cute or cool. dunno

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: Kiiru] #370946
08/26/07 05:14 PM
08/26/07 05:14 PM

M
missyandbrent
Unregistered
missyandbrent
Unregistered
M

I have taken them a few places. I never let anyone know I have them with me though for the same reason the above poster stated. You would have tons of people wanting to see them and then running out to buy them with out doing research on them first.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #370957
08/26/07 05:33 PM
08/26/07 05:33 PM
Colorado
Catman Offline
Glider Explorer
Catman  Offline
Glider Explorer

Colorado
You have to be carefull if your a guy too wink. People see you carring a bonding pouch (purse) and well you know, they think your weird. And tent time is a MUST!!!

1 son
1 wife
5 Cats
2 dogs Twiggy and spot
6 sugargliders:Ray,Cinnamon,Nick,Holly,jasmine,and bella
3 rescued gliders with no names
1 corn snake
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: Catman] #370969
08/26/07 06:01 PM
08/26/07 06:01 PM

M
MrsMaris
Unregistered
MrsMaris
Unregistered
M

I take my gliders with me everyone. its really no problem and like everyone else stated, when people see them they want to learn about them.
be careful around others though because one guy thought a "chipmunk" was crawling on my back while i had them with me at night.
thankfully my boyfriend stoped the stranger before swatting him off my back.
also be careful in extreme hot and cold weather.
other than that, its great for bonding!

they love bras!

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #371103
08/26/07 08:33 PM
08/26/07 08:33 PM

T
TexasAggie
Unregistered
TexasAggie
Unregistered
T

I take mine out with me in my bra almost everywhere I go. I do bring a pouch with me though just in case they want out or freak out for what ever reason. I wouldn't take them to a movie because of the noise level. Also when it come to school I brought Priscilla to class for a while but then during a test she started crabbing. I don't know why she did it but I never took her to class ever again. I don't take her to any crowded places either because I am worried that someone might bump into me. Just use your best judgement. You know your gliders better then anyone so you should know what they can handle and what will be too much.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #371119
08/26/07 08:52 PM
08/26/07 08:52 PM

J
jeaniemarie
Unregistered
jeaniemarie
Unregistered
J

i have taken mine every where the DR's office even to the ER but i didn't know we were going to end up there they go out to eat i all ways get something for them off the food bar but never close to night time my babys go where i go. have fun take them out for lunch and enjoy.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #371393
08/27/07 02:21 AM
08/27/07 02:21 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
That's awesome. smile
I think that if I were to bring one in would be for science or something, for the most part. That would be cool if there were people that I knew and they wanted a suggie, but also understood what they would require, and did some research then got one. We could talk about them all day long! (Well, I already do, but still...) lol
But if I were to take them to school and there were crowds of people trying to bombard me to see it, I would tell them that it stresses them out and that it'd be grumpy and make a scary sound to make everyone go away. And I bet the crabbing'd work, too. When I first heard one (on the sounds page here) I was shocked that something so cute could make such a terrifying sound!
Plus, most people don't like me at school anyway, and a psycho sounding suggie would help me keep them away. XD
I would love to make my own bonding/take out/carry around pouch, that way I could personalize it to my liking. smile
I would probably make it a deep red and black. My two favorite colors. smile
I already have all these names picked out for when I get some, and right now, I'm looking at a couple.
I found one female, and a 6-7 month mating pair, with a mother that might have a joey in pouch. laugh
If I do get the pair though, I think I'll neuter the male. I don't want to have 800 suggies, as awesome as it sounds. lol
But back to the subject! In past years, I was allowed to bring my snakes to school to educate the class about them. (Way back in elementary school.) lol
My mom brought them in, but I think that for a suggie, I could carry it around all day. The halls are really crowded in certain areas (duh, high school), but people usually stay in their own little groups on the edges. I would probably keep it around my neck and up front for a few reasons.
1- I have a messenger bag, due to my horrible luck with normal backpacks, and it HAS to be slung on my right shoulder. I hate having anything on my left shoulder, for it is weak and insignificant and cannot hold my 5,000 pound bag! So the two things could get tangled around each other, and my bag bounces on my leg. I don't want to give the suggie brain damage. x_x
2- It wouldn't bounce as much, and people would be less likely to hit it if it's in front of me, rather than on the side.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #371428
08/27/07 07:04 AM
08/27/07 07:04 AM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
If you do decide to take your glider to school, make sure you have one teacher you can trust. That way - if they get to vocal, or something happens, you can let the teacher hold them for you. Also - think about your schedule. If you have P.E., where do you put the glider? How will they react to theater? Math test today - will you be accused of cheating if you look in your purse to often?

I honestly don't think school is a good idea, unless it is a show-n-tell type situation where the glider goes home. I've taken mine up once and he peed on a football player - thank goodness I was the teacher! grin

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: Mel2mdl] #371443
08/27/07 08:24 AM
08/27/07 08:24 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I have P.E. last hour, and it's yoga. I thing that I could have it as a bra baby for that time? Or I could come to an agreement with the teacher, she's pretty cool. smile
But there's the early release days where we just sit around and don't do anything at all, so that would probably be one of the best days to take it.
My Japanese teacher is my favorite, and it's my longest hour. - Homeroom. laugh
I don't think that she's ever seen a sugar glider, and new experiences, if they're good ones, can make them want you to bring them in again. dance

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: konotashi] #371448
08/27/07 08:40 AM
08/27/07 08:40 AM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
You have yoga for gym class? I doubt it would be safe as a bra baby during that time. Even for the basics of yoga, you might end up squishing them or dumping them out. With the more advanced stuff, you'd have an even greater chance of squishing or dumping.

I still don't think school is a place for gliders but that's just me.

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: Kiiru] #371676
08/27/07 04:03 PM
08/27/07 04:03 PM
Eastern NC
melek007 Offline
Glider Addict
melek007  Offline
Glider Addict

Eastern NC
Be careful about what air they are exposed to. Smoke is a must to avoid! Since their lungs are so tiny, they use more oxygen with each breath (than say, a human), so any bad fume will bother them quicker. You mentioned taking them for science. What sort of work would you be doing? If it's in a lab, I would be afraid about all of the chemicals.

~ I miss my Alev, Nese & Levent ~
Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: melek007] #371751
08/27/07 05:52 PM
08/27/07 05:52 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Just like everything there are pro's and con's to every situation.
Bringing them with you on a regular basis, I frown on that idea. Schools are to noisy, some kids can be disrespectful, and the constant stress of them being tugged around for a FULL day everyday for 8 hours is not going to be healthy for them. Even though they sleep during the day, they are not getting good solid rest. Every once in awhile is alright, but you will need to be in total control over these little ones wellbeing during that time.
As for tent time, here is a link that you might find interesting to read up on about it. Alot of members set up some pretty awesome tents for their gliders for bonding. It really helps alot!
Tent Time

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: LSardou] #371809
08/27/07 07:40 PM
08/27/07 07:40 PM

S
Subie
Unregistered
Subie
Unregistered
S

High school probably isn't a good place for a glider. Once you get into college though... nobody cares. Or notices, really. The only time I get looks is when I bring all 8 with me - one pouch purse on each arm and a baby in my bra! A lot of my teachers love them too. But high school just wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. My gliders like to poke their noses out every once in a while and even climb out to see what's up and that wouldn't be too good in a high school classroom. Wait until after school and bring them to the mall with you. smile

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: LSardou] #372106
08/28/07 12:32 AM
08/28/07 12:32 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
If I were to take it to school with me, it would be on half days only. As much as I would want to take it with me every day, or once a week, I probably wouldn't do it. Like you said - kids can be disrespectful.

Re: Taking your suggie out with you? [Re: ] #372108
08/28/07 12:33 AM
08/28/07 12:33 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I don't normally go to the mall, but that would be awesome to go out with some friends and take along an extra little buddy. Especially if it's unexpected. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024