Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! #433410
12/13/07 01:40 PM
12/13/07 01:40 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

I had recently talked with a lady that had 2 gliders that I was going to get from her and her hubby. She just called and said that they found one of them had passed away this morning. The other is still alive. I'm a little baffled, and confused, and unsure. They were NOT very glider knowledgeable at all! They are in a cage made of wood, and galvanized wire, uncoated. They have ONLY been fed fruit and veggies, with an occasional mealworm here and there. 1 or 2 at a time per glider. The vet they took them to was a normal vet. Not an exotic vet or glider knowledgable vet. She said that she had no idea what happened, that the glider didnt seem sick at all, and acted fine. I then explained that gliders will hide that they are sick, and not show it until it's too late. They had NO idea what kind of care was needed for these guys, and the woman feels awful! I spent about an hour talking to her on the phone, and trying to explain to her everything that I know. Their last vet visit was about 6 months ago. But like I said, it wasnt a vet for gliders. I will definately be taking the other one, but I wantd to know if anything I have learned may give any of you an idea of what may have happened? I've not had a sick glider, so I havnt had to deal with any illness before. Is any of this an indicator of what may have caused one to die, and not the other?

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433412
12/13/07 01:48 PM
12/13/07 01:48 PM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
I think you just answered all your own questions crazy . These glider's have numerous hazards all around in the condition's they are being raised, so it could be any number of things. My suggestion, get the proper environment and diet for them, and get them checked at an exotic vet ASAP.

Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433413
12/13/07 01:49 PM
12/13/07 01:49 PM
Elkhorn, WI
CSteele Offline
Glider Slave
CSteele  Offline
Glider Slave

Elkhorn, WI
Maybe the diet and the inappropriate cage materials were too much for them to handle? I am a very new suggie mom but have read about not using the galv. wire and bare wood because it breeds disease and UTI's. The diet did not seem the best for them as well.

The other little one will need a lot of care, I'm sure...I'm glad you are taking the other little one and good luck!

Celeste
262-325-7137

Spoonful of Sugars-Gliders & Gear
www.glidersandgear.com

:grey: Nissa, Moose, Faye, Dexter, Frankie,
:wfb: Shakespeare, Elsbeth, Isabeau, Dartanion,
:wt: Adonis
:rtmo: Lily & Lil Aphrodite (my wht mo)

gangel Squirrel & Damien

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: CSteele] #433418
12/13/07 01:54 PM
12/13/07 01:54 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

I know I answered my questions, and that it was ALL wrong for them - I just dont understand why it would take 2 yrs to affect them! They've had them for 2 yrs, with the same diet and everything, and this is what the previous owner tod them to do. So its been a total of three yrs living that way. I also dont understand why one would die, and not the other.

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433419
12/13/07 02:01 PM
12/13/07 02:01 PM
Lynchburg, VA
B
blockamon Offline
Glider Lover
blockamon  Offline
Glider Lover
B

Lynchburg, VA
sounds like heavy metal (zinc) poisoning to me. I've been told ((PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets - not a reliable source granted, but at least they know not to use galvanized wire) that zinc poisoning takes about 2-3 years. The zinc will acuumulate in their body until it becomes toxic.

Unfortunately, if this was the cause, the second glider probably has a pretty hefty dose already. I'd say get rid of the galvanized wire ASAP and get him/her to a vet.

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: blockamon] #433432
12/13/07 02:23 PM
12/13/07 02:23 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

Well, I'll be picking her up tonight, and I plan to pull ALL the wire off the cage, and replace it with mesh until I can build another rept. I'm hoping that and a good diet will get her back on track. Is it possible for the vet to do something for them if they have zinc poisoning?

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433479
12/13/07 03:39 PM
12/13/07 03:39 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

bump

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433608
12/13/07 07:22 PM
12/13/07 07:22 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I'm not sure what can be done about the heavy metal poisoning - also be aware that one might have been more of a chewer, so ingested more of it than the other, and different gliders will handle toxins and problems differently as well. So it could be that the remaining glider may never show symptoms (one can hope). Do remember to follow quarantining procedures with this new little one and have the vet do a fecal float/smear to check for any parasites that might be present.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: sugarlope] #433613
12/13/07 07:39 PM
12/13/07 07:39 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
You've asked a VERY GOOD question...and I'm not sure that any vets here in the States would have an answer.

I rescued a pair about 3 years ago that were exposed to wood staining....the female passed away and the male survived. I think she chewed on the stained branch worse than he did, that MIGHT be why I lost her (among a hundred other problems). Might it be possible that giving her a good diet & taking her AWAY from the toxins will eventually leach them out of the system??? Dunno.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: minkasmom] #433714
12/13/07 09:48 PM
12/13/07 09:48 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

Well, we just got her, and she's not good. She looks like she may have over groomed behind her eyes a little, she walks like shes VERY weak, and tipsy, she stays upside down in her pouch, her poo is ORANGE, and I do mean orange... They fed sweet potatosp every night, so that may be why... I handed her a And I have no clue what she is. They said she was a grey, but she is NOT grey! Her stripes are a red color, and her fur is very light... Could this be a butter cream or lion?

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433726
12/13/07 10:02 PM
12/13/07 10:02 PM
Elkhorn, WI
CSteele Offline
Glider Slave
CSteele  Offline
Glider Slave

Elkhorn, WI
I've heard that a bad or non approved diet can change the fur color...maybe thats all it is and when she has a good diet with you, her fur will change back to normal?????

Celeste
262-325-7137

Spoonful of Sugars-Gliders & Gear
www.glidersandgear.com

:grey: Nissa, Moose, Faye, Dexter, Frankie,
:wfb: Shakespeare, Elsbeth, Isabeau, Dartanion,
:wt: Adonis
:rtmo: Lily & Lil Aphrodite (my wht mo)

gangel Squirrel & Damien

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: CSteele] #433788
12/13/07 11:48 PM
12/13/07 11:48 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Sam, that boy could have died from anything. She needs to be checked for everything they can think of. I would give it a month or so before you try to figure out her coloring, her fur is stained from diet, and it is dyed, like when we color our hair. She needs a balanced diet, and love.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: USMom] #433815
12/14/07 12:27 AM
12/14/07 12:27 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
The sweet potatoes are probably changing her fur color...too much orange in her diet!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: cinnamonstix] #433827
12/14/07 12:34 AM
12/14/07 12:34 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
It's deffinantly the cause of the orange poop! Being feed that every day it will be.

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: GliderLove] #433849
12/14/07 01:00 AM
12/14/07 01:00 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Samantha, sorry, I was typing one handed earlier (had a snuggle bug cuddling my thumb laugh )
Anywho, yes, the sweet potato's will do that to her fur and her poopies. With the change to a good diet, her fur will return to it's normal color in about 4 months. But you will start being able to see it in about a month. You will probably start noticing a change with in a week.
As far as her cage mate dying, there is no way, at all, to know what he died of. I have gliders that came from the worst circumstances as far as housing, diet, care and are fine. Other gliders, with everything going for them, just...died. It could be environmental, it could be disease. There is no way to know on him.
It will be very important for her to get to a vet ASAP for a full work up. Do NOT put her anywhere near your gliders for a solid month after her vet visit, and she is clear. Things can start to percolate that they may not catch. Also, do her stuff last, that way you are not going from her to your other gliders, and possibly spreading something. One other thing, stress can cause them to become ill, and she has had plenty with losing her cage mate, then the move to your house. Watch for runny poops, smelly poops, and any other ill glider symptoms. Even after the vet visit. I, personally, give yogurt, the kind with the live cultures in it, the first night a glider is here. Then fairly frequently over the next couple of weeks, just to help their tummys stay settled. That seems to be the first thing to bother them. It has always helped. Just a thought.
Make sure she is not dehydrated, and provide plenty of fluids for her. And as much as I'd like to say skip the sweet potatoes, give her just a little, with your regular diet, the first couple of nights, it is what she is used to, you know, just to help make her comfortable.
Please let us know how she does smile We really like the follow ups!

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: USMom] #433977
12/14/07 08:44 AM
12/14/07 08:44 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
In addition to the possibility of heavy metal poisoning is the very real possibility (especially with the symptoms you have described) that she has HLP. Please go to my page about Hind Leg Paralysis for information about the causes (in this case likely from poor nutrition), diagnosis and treatment. I would ask the vet about a prophylactic treatment of Neocalglucon (oral calcium supplement) even if diagnostic tests can not be run. It wouldn't hurt her and it could save her life. My very first two gliders were about 3 years old when I got them. They were on a very poor diet and about 18 months after I got them they both succumbed to HLP. I wish I had known about HLP back then, I may have been able to save them, but sadly, I didn't have the knowledge shakehead Sometimes the effects of poor nutrition take a long time to augment and become noticeable...

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #433983
12/14/07 09:08 AM
12/14/07 09:08 AM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

Well, its about 7am, and she's still alive! Thank Goodness! She ate almost all her food last night, and was definately drinking, as there were "crumbs" in her water. I went in to check on her, and she was peeking up over the pouch at me, and making this noice that she makes.... Almost sounds like sniffing, or little whispers or something. No crabbing, just big sweet eyes saying thank you for a new clean cage, and dinner. I fed her PP, yogurt, mealies, canatloup, and chicken baby food. I want her to get the protein she has been lacking, but also wanted her to have variety. ALL the yogurt, baby fod, mealies, and fruit is gone. The only thing left is a little PP. So she ate very well! And there were a few things mis placed in her cage, so I assume she was playing or at least exploring.... Im just thankful that she made it through the night. That was the first step!

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433985
12/14/07 09:30 AM
12/14/07 09:30 AM

E
Ema
Unregistered
Ema
Unregistered
E

laugh Sam that is good news I knew you could make her comfortable and she would come though it. Congrat. Hope you are going to take her in to the vet. sounds like you have become a great glider mommy. ttyl

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #433988
12/14/07 09:40 AM
12/14/07 09:40 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Samantha,
Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear she had a good night with such a good appetite! Next step is the vet's smile Please keep us posted on the vet visit with diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, etc...

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #434614
12/15/07 12:32 PM
12/15/07 12:32 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

She did well last night as well! smile I brought her out with us last night, and she enjoyed hand fed mealies from her new daddy! So sweet! Then she eventually fell asleep with me in her pouch...I'll post pics soon.

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #434622
12/15/07 12:43 PM
12/15/07 12:43 PM

B
butterscotch1
Unregistered
butterscotch1
Unregistered
B

oh that is soooo good to hear! Its wonderful news to know that she is ok!

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #434632
12/15/07 01:04 PM
12/15/07 01:04 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

Here are a few pics from last night....

Attached Files
000_0001.JPG (16 downloads)
000_0006.JPG (13 downloads)
000_0009.JPG (16 downloads)
Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #434634
12/15/07 01:07 PM
12/15/07 01:07 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Awww, what a sweet looking baby! Samantha, it looks like you rescued her just in time. In that last picture, it looks like there is a hollow spot below her ribs, like she was starving. Thank goodness you have her!

Shawna

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: USMom] #434639
12/15/07 01:24 PM
12/15/07 01:24 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

Yeah, I dont think she was fed very well. She eats like a mad woman! But she's SOOO friendly! She has spots behind her eyes, too, where it looks as though she had been overgroming, but I couldnt get her to look at me long enough to get a good face shot. Does it look her normal color, or that she's stained? She looks like a lion to me... But Im not sure....

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: ] #434642
12/15/07 01:32 PM
12/15/07 01:32 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
She doesn't look like a grey right now. But I've had glider owners with experience get in gliders as a rehome, swear they had cinnamons, and then after a while the staining grows out, and they really have greys. It is going to be very hard to determine her true color until she is healthier. She could be a colored glider. As she gets more love from you guys, the overgrooming spot should go away. Her's a lucky little girl!

Shawna

Re: HELP HELP! SICK GLIDER! HELP! [Re: USMom] #434644
12/15/07 01:40 PM
12/15/07 01:40 PM

S
samantha3212
Unregistered
samantha3212
Unregistered
S

Well, thats kinda what I thought too, but the lady that had her made no reference to any other color she had ever been. SO it kind of makes me wonder...When I asked what she looked like on the phone before I got her, she said she looked the same as always, and didnt seem sick. She described her as being grey, with a black stripe. But she is NOT grey and her stripe is NOT black! its hard to see in the pics, but seeing her up close, her strpie is red. Like a red hair that a person would have. dark red.... I dont know how to explain it. I will try to get a good close up of her though.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 382 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024