Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! #762567
04/08/09 07:31 PM
04/08/09 07:31 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

How has NO ONE been talking about the new piece of legislation about to go under consideration?!?!? HR699, if passed, will ban the selling or buying of ALL exotic pets not native to the state of Florida. This ranges from sugar gliders, to most snakes, to hamsters, to the simple beta fish! This bans them all people. Reptiles, birds, mammals, amphibians, invertebrates, and, of course, suggies. And it does not matter if the animal is captive bred. All CB and WC exotics will be illegal! Why has no one been talking about this here? This is not simply a ban on all animals being sold. HR699 will allow all legally purchased and owned animals before it to be kept by the owners, but they will be illegal to import, export, sell, buy, or transfer them over state lines. And you would never be able to get anymore if the species of animal you are after is deemed potentially harmful to the environment or ecosystem.

This is happening because of a problem that is going on right here in Florida. You see, uneducated and generally, for lack of a better word, stupid people sometimes decide to get burmese pythons thinking they can care for their size and requirements. When they, eventually and surely, get too big for them to continue caring for, they LET THEM GO!!!! How can you just let an innocent animal go?! Its beyond me. Anyway, the Everglades really agree with these animals, and they are now invading the ecosystem and competing with alligators for food.

Please! Let the legislation know that they CANNOT do this. They cannot punish all of us for the mistakes of others. We need more regulation, not total banning! Call, write, e-Mail, march. LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! Stop HR669!!!

The HR669 will be taken under consideration on April 23 by 15 congressmen

For more information:
Full Explanation- http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf

Pijac- http://www.pijac.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=504

State Representatives:
House- https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Congress- http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Please remember this will affect sugar gliders everywhere. If this gets passed, all exotic animals will never be sold again. No imports or exports, and no transporting over state lines. STOP THIS FROM BEING PASSED!!!

Last edited by RaiSaix; 04/08/09 10:04 PM.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS!!! [Re: ] #762580
04/08/09 07:41 PM
04/08/09 07:41 PM

S
SugarGliderCandy
Unregistered
SugarGliderCandy
Unregistered
S

This is the first I have heard of this. I will read and do what I can to voice my opinion.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762586
04/08/09 07:45 PM
04/08/09 07:45 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

I heard about it from the reptile community, which is going CRAZY! Just type "H699" in the YouTube search bar, and videos from various reptile owners such as Caterpillargirrafe and Cavajason show up. And SnakebytesTV will be making a video soon!

Last edited by RaiSaix; 04/08/09 07:53 PM.
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762597
04/08/09 07:59 PM
04/08/09 07:59 PM

P
Padros4
Unregistered
Padros4
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: RaiSaix
This is a ban on KEEPING them. It will be made illegal to keep your pets people. And they will make you give them up to shelters!!!

If this is a ban nationwide, I don't understand what they're planning on doing with all these animals? They go to shelters, then what? That doesn't make sense...if they're banned they can't be adopted out. This seems radical. It would mean they'd have to kill everything? I'm not understanding this.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762605
04/08/09 08:18 PM
04/08/09 08:18 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

Hmmmmm. It appears I and many others have gotten this wrong. We may keep all animals legally owned before the ban, but may not transport them over state lines or import or export them. Sorry. My mistake.

Last edited by RaiSaix; 04/08/09 08:23 PM.
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762609
04/08/09 08:26 PM
04/08/09 08:26 PM

P
Padros4
Unregistered
Padros4
Unregistered
P

So, I read a little more about this HR669 online and though I didn't read a ton because the bill itself is crazy long, it seems to focus mostly on stopping the importation of wild, non-native animals into the US. The sugar gliders we have are captive-bred and have been in the US for years. Most reptiles, like boas and pythons, that people have as pets are captive bred as well. In fact, tons of exotic animals kept as pets are captive bred! So, if I'm understanding this correctly (which I may not be...I'll have to do more research) already established breeding programs for exotic animals that are captive-bred in the US should not really be affected. People may be panicking for no reason.

This is a really interesting piece of legislation though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! I'm going to learn more about it because I don't know if I totally understand it.

Last edited by Padros4; 04/08/09 08:28 PM. Reason: added info
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762612
04/08/09 08:29 PM
04/08/09 08:29 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

No. Any species not NATIVE to the U.S. will be banned, because they still have the potential to be let go, or escape, and become established in the ecosystem here and spreading, they are including captive bred. I WAS wrong about them taking away animals, but you will never be allowed to purchase and own another sugar glider if this bill gets passed.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762614
04/08/09 08:30 PM
04/08/09 08:30 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

This is rediculous. I'm not too worried about it. I don't see them actually following through with it. I'll still voice my opinion to them and help fight it, but I doubt they are going to pass this. I can see them making stricter laws on the owning/selling etc. That, I think, would actually be a good thing.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762621
04/08/09 08:37 PM
04/08/09 08:37 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

Agreed. I am in total favor of more regulation and permits required for animals. People should be forced to do research before getting any animal, in my opinion.

The only reason I could see them not going through with this is money. The exotic pet trade makes about 2 billion dollars a year, and thats just the animals. I don't know how much it is including accesories such as cages or food.

But I do however see this as laziness. Instead of enacting laws that actually help the current situation of animals, their taking the easy way out by just banning them outright. Not much suprise, really.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762626
04/08/09 08:48 PM
04/08/09 08:48 PM

P
Padros4
Unregistered
Padros4
Unregistered
P

Hmmmm...maybe this is more serious than I thought. I don't think I got to the important part of this piece of legislation when I was reading it and gave up. But all the reptile forums online are out of control worried about this thing. Kind of scary if it's all true...

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762629
04/08/09 08:55 PM
04/08/09 08:55 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

I think reptile owners are so worried because most of them become small backyard breeders. So now they have nothing to do with all of their excess animals. But really its because when you get a snake, you just can't stop getting more.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762633
04/08/09 08:59 PM
04/08/09 08:59 PM

P
peem
Unregistered
peem
Unregistered
P

Correct me if I am wrong but this all seems to have started when I think it was Dade County Zoo did this thing where people with unwanted exotic animals (pets) could NO questions asked turn them over to them. People were lined up with many many exotics...including suggies. It was really very sad to see on the news. It wasnt long after that that I heard about this new possible law.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762635
04/08/09 09:01 PM
04/08/09 09:01 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

Hmmmmmmmm. I heard nothing of that. But it really does sound sad!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762642
04/08/09 09:13 PM
04/08/09 09:13 PM

P
peem
Unregistered
peem
Unregistered
P

It was sad...young kids with their parents had gliders in pouches and handed them over because they couldnt care for them anymore...it was more involved than they thought. Of course there were many different exotics as well but the whole suggie thing made me angry.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762646
04/08/09 09:25 PM
04/08/09 09:25 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

It would make me sad, too.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762750
04/08/09 11:30 PM
04/08/09 11:30 PM

G
Gorgias
Unregistered
Gorgias
Unregistered
G

Just to clear something up about HR 669.... All species nonnative to the US with some exceptions listed in the bill would be required to be put on a approved or unapproved list. To justify being put on the approved list, the USFW would have to say that there is no way the species is or could be dangerous in the future and that it has no possibility of becoming a nuisance species (Also they have to take into account possible climate changes). The list is over 40 pages long and the time frame to do all this would be 36 months. Once a species is unapproved I believe any person could petition for a change (This is also the case with scheduled drugs, but no one has ever reduced a drug's schedule) Any species unapproved would still be allowed to be kept, but not bred or transported across state lines. This would essentially end the exotic pet trade. I'm a pretty open minded person and support animal welfare groups, but this is the line. Don't be fooled into thinking this has any good intentions. This bills is the second one to be proposed in 2 years and is pushed forward by HSUS. The ultimate goal of this is to ELIMINATE people from owning exotics. There are a whole mess of problems with the exotic pet trade, but banning us all from having them in the future is not answer!

EDIT: I don't think this has anything to do with any one particular incident of animal neglect. That happens everyday, it's a sad reality of our society having pets. This is an agenda that has been pushed for years by animal rights groups, specifically HSUS and PETA. They have been trying to get this done forever and using extreme cases and scare tactics(stories about tiger and chimp attacks) to dwell up fear.
I always hear permits brought up, but never how they would work or what effect they would have. They seem like they would be fairly ineffective.

Last edited by Gorgias; 04/08/09 11:50 PM.
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762789
04/09/09 12:25 AM
04/09/09 12:25 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
This would also mean the end to transporting animals over state lines for get-togethers, traveling, visiting, etc. This IS a big deal, it is not worked out well yet, so everyone is assuming it will not pass and many are not doing anything about it...but what if it does?

HR669 is not just about Florida, it is a national concern, every state will be affected as this is a federal issue. Please get involved. Remember when writing letters/e-mails to be respectful and use facts rather than being angry, abrasive, and emotional - non of those will be helpful to our side of the cause.

Here is another site discussing HR669 with a sample letter you can send if you don't know what to write yourself (along with links to e-mail addresses of the committee members);
http://www.austinherpsociety.org/newsite/austinHerps/HR669%20Grassroots%20Organizing%20101.html

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: sugarlope] #762797
04/09/09 12:37 AM
04/09/09 12:37 AM
Utah
S
silverwolf Offline
Glider Slave
silverwolf  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Utah
I will play devil's advocate for a minute here. If they ban us having these exotic pets and many people own them and don't want to worry about having them destroyed what alternatives does it leave people that have these pets already? I can see it causing more problems because I can see even more people being willing to turn them loose free rather than the alternative. For places like florida that would cause an even bigger problem than they have now because now they have lots of exotics running loose and causing havoc with the ecosystem. Unfortunately I can even see suggie owners doing this. Although for many it would mean a death sentence others would adapt in certain places and survive causing all kinds of havoc with the native animals. This legislation was not well thought out and I will definately contact my representative and explain how this is a horrible bill that will cause much more chaos than good.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: silverwolf] #762807
04/09/09 12:50 AM
04/09/09 12:50 AM

G
Gorgias
Unregistered
Gorgias
Unregistered
G

This actually seems to be more the case with S373, the pending python ban. If you have not heard, there is also a proposed amendment to the Lacey Act adding all members of the python family to the act. This is a little extreme considering the motivation behind it is burmese pythons in the everglades. There are many separate species of pythons however, and only one had become a nuisance in a small part of a state. BTW ball pythons are probably the biggest item in the snake industry, and these would in turn be banned. This would harm many breeders and cause hundreds of thousands of small harmless snakes to be destroyed. With HR669 owners would be allowed to keep their current pets, grandfather clause, but the bill would make it in essence impossible for the industry to put out more (legally) So instead of taking the direct route of banning exotic animals, it would become impossible to find and transport exotic animals. Even if this passes I don't see any plausible way to enforce this. Will they check all animals at regular intervals to make sure they are not breeding? Will they post law enforcement at all state borders to make sure people aren't smuggling birds or sugar gliders or snakes? The whole thing seems silly and impossible to implement.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762817
04/09/09 01:21 AM
04/09/09 01:21 AM

G
GoddessBaby
Unregistered
GoddessBaby
Unregistered
G

I sent my letters to the represenatives

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762818
04/09/09 01:33 AM
04/09/09 01:33 AM

D
debyc08
Unregistered
debyc08
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: peem
Correct me if I am wrong but this all seems to have started when I think it was Dade County Zoo did this thing where people with unwanted exotic animals (pets) could NO questions asked turn them over to them. People were lined up with many many exotics...including suggies. It was really very sad to see on the news. It wasnt long after that that I heard about this new possible law.

yep, that was like a month or so ago, that zoo is like 2 mins, from my house. it was sad, my vet was one of the vets that was checking the exotic unwanted pets as there were being turned in. frown

i'm "trying" to think if there is something good that can come out of this HR669.... and it would be to finally put a stop to the mill breeders from these exotic...

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #762895
04/09/09 09:48 AM
04/09/09 09:48 AM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
i watched animal planet last month and it was abt. the snakes being let loose in florida and the havoc it was causing, killing dogs, attacking little kids in their back
yard, etc. i knew the government was going to do something
but banning all exotics is going way overboard. i missed
the news abt. the zoo taking in pets, no questions asked.
i don't know why they have to add sugar gliders in that bill. snakes, i understand, they get to big, people let
them loose and they kill, sugar gliders do not.
i am going to check out this bill and do what i can.

regards,
nancy
p.s. it sounds like it would put a stop to any breeder in florida, not just mill breeders.

Last edited by hwh4ev; 04/09/09 09:49 AM.

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: silverwolf] #763160
04/09/09 05:45 PM
04/09/09 05:45 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: silverwolf
I will play devil's advocate for a minute here. If they ban us having these exotic pets and many people own them and don't want to worry about having them destroyed what alternatives does it leave people that have these pets already? I can see it causing more problems because I can see even more people being willing to turn them loose free rather than the alternative. For places like florida that would cause an even bigger problem than they have now because now they have lots of exotics running loose and causing havoc with the ecosystem. Unfortunately I can even see suggie owners doing this. Although for many it would mean a death sentence others would adapt in certain places and survive causing all kinds of havoc with the native animals. This legislation was not well thought out and I will definately contact my representative and explain how this is a horrible bill that will cause much more chaos than good.

The ban is not on currently owned animals, from my understanding, so no one would have to put animals down (except the mill breeders that have them as stock not pets and wouldn't want the added cost. AND as we know, some of these mills already release unwanted animals anyway) shakehead

It will prohibit the buying/selling of and transfer across state lines of all of these animals. I don't know what that would mean for someone that has to move out of their state. dunno

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: sugarlope] #763317
04/09/09 11:29 PM
04/09/09 11:29 PM
Londonderry, NH
sweetReaper Offline
Glider Guardian
sweetReaper  Offline
Glider Guardian

Londonderry, NH
I made a post about this not too long ago

Sarah is currently a slave to:

Joe <3 - boyfriend
Kasu, Chihiro, Haku, Io - the suggies :bb: :grey: :grey: :rtmo:
Miki :rbridge: You are greatly missed <3
Fuuko, Rin, Hinata - the ratties
Two super cute axolotls

"It can't rain all the time" - Eric Draven
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: sweetReaper] #763380
04/10/09 02:18 AM
04/10/09 02:18 AM
USA
sweetheart26 Offline
Glider Addict
sweetheart26  Offline
Glider Addict

USA
I thought it was just for forida? Not for other States.

mom to sugar gliders storm,thunder,lighting,snowball,rosebud,winter,string,summer fall and sweet.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #763594
04/10/09 06:10 PM
04/10/09 06:10 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

No! This is for ALL 50 States!

WE NEED TO GET ACTIVE! CALL, WRITE, PETITION, AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

NO ON HR669!!!

Last edited by RaiSaix; 04/10/09 06:19 PM.
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #763622
04/10/09 06:41 PM
04/10/09 06:41 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

COME ON PEOPLE!!!

Listen, I am usually much more composed and mature when I am writing on the internet. But this is a very big deal. And for everyone of you here, in America or not, this WILL impact you. If you want to move, your animal will have to be left behind and killed. If you want a Glider and the U.S. is the only way to get one, you can't because there will be no more American breeders! This is serious! Why does no one care??!?!?!?

Last edited by RaiSaix; 04/10/09 06:57 PM.
Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #763637
04/10/09 06:57 PM
04/10/09 06:57 PM

P
Padros4
Unregistered
Padros4
Unregistered
P

Whoa! Who says no one cares? You opened my eyes to it. I care. There are other people who posted here, they care. And just because there aren't more posts doesn't mean other people don't care. Maybe they're just reading this but not posting. It is a big deal, as you have mentioned, but calm down and take a deep breath.

If it makes you feel any better I have started spreading the word to friends and family because of your post. Others may be doing the same. smile

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #763639
04/10/09 06:58 PM
04/10/09 06:58 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

I'm sorry.... I just am a worrier.

Please post here if you helped make a difference!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! [Re: ] #763650
04/10/09 07:09 PM
04/10/09 07:09 PM

P
Padros4
Unregistered
Padros4
Unregistered
P

I am a worrier too! And I totally understand your frustration! I also think it would be great if people post how they've help voice their opinion...awesome idea!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024