Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Srlb] #800408
06/29/09 02:46 PM
06/29/09 02:46 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

smile

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Srlb] #800436
06/29/09 03:55 PM
06/29/09 03:55 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
Interesting conversation and great information!

What is the confirmed consistant life span of albinos/cream's? Or is it only the albino's that suffer the lower lifespan? What about confirmed diseases and problems?
That would hinder my wanting them, as I like my pets healthy and happy.

This is all new to me with the colors in general, but I could see the line of thought as far as the health.

I think if the lines are bred well enough out and then carefully watched it would be like any other animal that you are breeding for a specific trait.

However, as I am not intimatly familar with the genetics that causes the Albino coloration, my opnion is based soley on my on past experiences with the horses.
Whit

Mom to (heaven help me!) Three pairs of wonderful Glider kids-
Nero :rtmo:
Cupid a :cream: & Ceres :rtmo: +1 boy oop
Warbuck :plat: & Lysia :rtmo: & Clarissa with Twins oop each!
http://palmbeachgliders.webs.com/
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: SugaWhit] #800442
06/29/09 04:04 PM
06/29/09 04:04 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

I do not think there is enough albinos or info on albinos to do any long term research on them which to me is a sign.

If there is not a lot of them, there is a reason for that. Like I said before, it is not natural for anything to be born albino...

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #800444
06/29/09 04:05 PM
06/29/09 04:05 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

What is your experience with albino horses?

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #800460
06/29/09 04:56 PM
06/29/09 04:56 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Originally Posted By: monluvspagen

There is no such thing as an albino horse.

In my research about the albino gene I remember reading that there are no albino horses(or, at least, they don't CALL them albinos...). The albino gene is recessive, which means that BOTH parents must have the gene. However, in horses, the "Albino" gene is not recessive and only one parent needs the gene. So, they are not considered albinos because of how the gene works. A "real" albino has a recessive gene.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Guerita135] #800464
06/29/09 05:09 PM
06/29/09 05:09 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

Oh I was just asking because she said she had experiences with horses so I didn't know if she meant albino horses or horses in general... I know nothing about horses, so I was asking to see if it was relevant to this thread with the albino trait.

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #800490
06/29/09 05:55 PM
06/29/09 05:55 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
Sorry, I should have clarified better. I have No experience with the Albino gene.
I do have extensive experience in the horses, and in that way, breeding for specific traits, color, etc.
That is what I was speaking of when I said

"I think if the lines are bred well enough out and then carefully watched it would be like any other animal that you are breeding for a specific trait."

I am not a fan of inbreeding in general, as I breed minis, and I have seen far to many deformed and ill foals.

I just think that the blanket statement that no one should attempt to breed for a specific color trait like Albino- When, as of yet, no one can tell me that they or the creams have shown poor health or disease, was a maybe a little unfair.

I am extremely interested in this topic, as I think the cream's are about the prettiest looking asides the Mosaics, and I would love to have one or a pair.

However, if poor health is the case, I do not wish to be a part of it, as first and foremost, I want healthy and happy animals.
It's the same reason I refuse to breed the super small minis. Many have had excellent luck, and Everyone wants the smallest of the small minis.
But I just can't stand the risk of horrible dystocias, dwarfs, and off bites. Also I show the minis, and the smallest just are not as competative out there.
However the general first time buyer for a mini wants a small one. It's about the health and happiness of the animal first and foremost.
Whit

Last edited by SugaWhit; 06/29/09 05:56 PM. Reason: I am unable to spell!

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Guerita135] #800496
06/29/09 05:59 PM
06/29/09 05:59 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
Originally Posted By: Guerita135
Originally Posted By: monluvspagen

There is no such thing as an albino horse.

In my research about the albino gene I remember reading that there are no albino horses(or, at least, they don't CALL them albinos...). The albino gene is recessive, which means that BOTH parents must have the gene. However, in horses, the "Albino" gene is not recessive and only one parent needs the gene. So, they are not considered albinos because of how the gene works. A "real" albino has a recessive gene.

As far as I know you are correct. I have never seen an albino horse- we have colors that look similar, but they never have the red eyes and therefore Not albinos.
My other question is lab rats. (Which I do have experience with sadly)
All my lab rats that I ever had to work with were albinos. They were healthy, happy, and long lived animals. The only tumors and diseases I saw were human caused. But perhaps that is a just my own small awareness. I did not breed for those traits, I was just handling the animals.
Whit

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: SugaWhit] #800499
06/29/09 06:04 PM
06/29/09 06:04 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

Ok thanks! I understand. The way I see it is in the wild, the albinos are pretty much never seen, either because it doesn't happen, OR they are killed. I beleive about everyone on this site agrees that imbreeding is not good if it can be stopped lol always promoting that males be neutered. smile As I said before, I do not think there has been enough research on the Albinos due to the fact there is not many at all. Most research needs to be done on a large number to even be close to valid.

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #800501
06/29/09 06:07 PM
06/29/09 06:07 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

I do not know about rats, or even how they became albino because they started experimenting on them sooo long ago. But even normal pet rats die from tumors so who knows with them. I know for a fact the albino mice/rats would not live in the wild very long though because it would stand out. Rats have been through so much and have been around a lot longer than marsupials so I have no clue. That is interesting, I was thinking about that myself.

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #800548
06/29/09 08:06 PM
06/29/09 08:06 PM
Houston, Texas
gliderboy4life Offline
Glider Guardian
gliderboy4life  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, Texas
The creme-inos seem to be very healthy. The first ones born are now about 7 years old and are still producing and healthy.

As for Albinos, the ones I have seem are very healthy and strong animals(from appearance). I do know that there can be other issues. Until one passes away and a necropsy is done, we can't say to much. I do not know if the few that have passed had a necropsy done or not.

Tyler Cleckley
www.GliderBoyGliders.com
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: gliderboy4life] #800621
06/29/09 11:22 PM
06/29/09 11:22 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

Well I will stick to the natural stuff. I hope one day we will know the answers behind these rare beautiful albinos.

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #800704
06/30/09 06:45 AM
06/30/09 06:45 AM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

People keep saying albinos are unnatural, which I don't understand. The albino coloration is considered a mutation, but it is a naturally occurring mutation and appears in almost every species. Also, mutation is not a bad word. All mutation means is that there is a change in the information... Heck, blue eyes in human was a mutation at one point in time.

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #800727
06/30/09 08:52 AM
06/30/09 08:52 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I think people are saying it's unnatural because albinos normally tend to have health issues, and there's no way that they would survive in the wild, but if you think about it, neither would leus and probably many mosaics.

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: konotashi] #839642
09/17/09 04:58 PM
09/17/09 04:58 PM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
Does anyone here own an albino? Just out of curiousity.

I agree with those here about the eyes which is why I got a leu. Although lately I've been interested in creaminos. I hear they have ruby and not red eyes.

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Tish84] #839654
09/17/09 05:06 PM
09/17/09 05:06 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
there are pics of all the color variations on the SPIN site, Tish, if you want to see them all...

http://www.spin4suggies.com/Color_Variation_Description.html

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Srlb] #839666
09/17/09 05:21 PM
09/17/09 05:21 PM

R
rwilson
Unregistered
rwilson
Unregistered
R

Kris this makes me miss Galileo.

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: LabNGliderMom] #839891
09/17/09 10:40 PM
09/17/09 10:40 PM
Houston, Texas
gliderboy4life Offline
Glider Guardian
gliderboy4life  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: LabNGliderMom
there are pics of all the color variations on the SPIN site, Tish, if you want to see them all...

http://www.spin4suggies.com/Color_Variation_Description.html

That's my little girl, the Albino!!!!!

Tyler Cleckley
www.GliderBoyGliders.com
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: gliderboy4life] #839895
09/17/09 10:47 PM
09/17/09 10:47 PM
Louisiana
Iceguru Offline
Glider Explorer
Iceguru  Offline
Glider Explorer

Louisiana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Albinism

Please people read don't spout ...... for lack of a better word randomness

I know, but I still
Believe in ignorance as my best defense
So go on, wreck me
Funny how I carry on, and not be taken over
Will not roll over on anyone,
cuz anyone would stand up on my side
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Iceguru] #839911
09/17/09 11:04 PM
09/17/09 11:04 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I'd rather read "spouting" on here than try to understand wilkipedia. I prefer plain English. That other stuff goes over my poor befuzzled head! LOL

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: suggiemom1980] #839923
09/17/09 11:33 PM
09/17/09 11:33 PM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
Wow, their eyes do look a lot more red and piercing.

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Iceguru] #841053
09/20/09 06:01 AM
09/20/09 06:01 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
back to the albino topic....

I am interested in albino animals. Interesting to be sure.

I HAVE seen a horse with pink eyes when I was a preteen living in PA. He was owned by one of our neighboring farmers who was very old (the farmer), well....actually he said the horse was pretty old too. I have seen many horses with blue eyes as well. But this one was definately pink. the farmer had to be careful to not leave him in the sun too long as his ears would burn.

perhaps incredibly rare. But I did see one. time frame....hummmmmm, about 34 years ago, horse was over 15 years old...so perhaps through breeding over the last 100 years, the albino gene has been "bred out"? and this one was just a throwback? as an albino horse isnt "practical"?

does anyone on here have an albino glider?

albinoism in nature is rare, only because that animal would stand out. so whether a prey animal or predatory animal they would be at a disadvantage in the survival game. I have a story (in a magazine)about an albino hummingbird that whenever it came to the yard/feeder the other hummingbirds would gang up on it and chase it away. Now I know a bit about hummingbirds and they can be very territorial about their feeders. But we are talking about a yard with mutliple feeders that would have 5-15 birdies at a time at the feeders, and the only time they acted aggressive was when the albino was there. perhaps they knew he "stood out" to predators and was endangering them all? This is not the first time I have read of animals "shunning" albinos.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: JillMarie] #841057
09/20/09 06:25 AM
09/20/09 06:25 AM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
That's so sad....(hummingbirds)
I would embrace him and feed him more than his mean counterparts.

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Guerita135] #841717
09/21/09 12:58 AM
09/21/09 12:58 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Nicole...

Is it possible that the gene for Cremino may be Simple Recessive-CoDominant to Albinoism?

I know it is possible for Hets to carry both genes (t- and t+) and also t- or t+ only. There is one Albino t- that is only producing Hets. His partner is a Cremino t+. This seems to indicate that this Albino t- does not carry the t+ gene and there are "no" Cremino colored offspring.

Now after rereading my post... I am confused. roflmao

Last edited by Judie; 09/21/09 01:17 AM.
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Judie] #843412
09/24/09 02:17 AM
09/24/09 02:17 AM

K
KristopherDeRose
Unregistered
KristopherDeRose
Unregistered
K

I will have an albino for sale soon

Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: ] #843424
09/24/09 02:49 AM
09/24/09 02:49 AM
Iowa
Akane Offline
Glider Lover
Akane  Offline
Glider Lover

Iowa
True albinos rarely survive. It's lethal in most animals. Pink eyed whites by many aren't considered true albinos and thus the reason they get called pinked eyed whites or pink eyed dilutes instead. Don't ask me why. I prefer not to get into such info because I don't like albinos. I've worked with and bred lots of animals from very small to very large and I actually took some genetics classes but mostly on horses and other large animals. The small animal genetics I researched myself. In my experience the closer you get to an albino the more health issues you have. The closest thing in horses would probably be perlinos and cremellos which are horses with 2 copies of the palomino or cream gene. These horses do sunburn easy and tend to have more sensitive skin and allergies. I knew one that couldn't be turned out to pasture because despite mowing and replanting frequently too many weeds grew that would irritate his nose and legs. He constantly had peeling scabs and rashes half way up his face and to just below his knees on every leg. He also couldn't stand fly spray. He'd start stomping, twitching, and dancing around whenever he got sprayed and then he'd develop lumps. It didn't matter what type was used. The owner could only use expensive herbal sprays. That's an extreme example but it's just one of many.

I'll accept minor alterations to color and some I love like mosaics, black beauties, and white tail tips but when you start getting really strong dilution genes or stacking several dilution genes together to get as light of animal as possible you nearly always in every species get more health problems. Personally I'd much rather people came up with more brown and dark colors instead. Can we get a solid black glider? I'll settle for solid chocolate brown.

I just remembered there was a study done on gerbils that tested the color pigment in their brains and then other brain chemicals. They actually found a correlation between coat/skin color and changes in brain activity. It was a very minor difference and we argued on the board whether it actually had any impact on an animal's final personality. Nothing ever came of the debate but it was very interesting. I wish I still had the link to at least the study. Color genes may have more impact than we think.

Last edited by Akane; 09/24/09 02:53 AM.

RIP sora :grey:

RIP Ryuu :grey:
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Srlb] #847878
10/04/09 12:51 PM
10/04/09 12:51 PM
Skokie, IL
J
jeff866 Offline
Joey Member
jeff866  Offline
Joey Member
J

Skokie, IL
Monika,

Can you define how you used the term "natural"?

Albinos do occur naturally. They probably will not survive long in the wild, because a predator will be able to see them easier.

Let's Educate Chicago!

Jeff866@gmail.com
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: jeff866] #847899
10/04/09 01:23 PM
10/04/09 01:23 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Albinos can happen in all species of animals (though may not have been seen in some). To me, while "natural" they are still freaks of nature. In MY opinion, it is a genetic screw up that should not purposely be bred for. There is just the potential for to many other health issues in albinos.

So I'll never have one (not even a free one, has nothing to do with money to me). But there are those that are facinated by the eye color.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: Dancing] #848082
10/04/09 08:42 PM
10/04/09 08:42 PM
Skokie, IL
J
jeff866 Offline
Joey Member
jeff866  Offline
Joey Member
J

Skokie, IL
I never saw an albino ant. grin

Last edited by jeff866; 10/04/09 08:43 PM.

Let's Educate Chicago!

Jeff866@gmail.com
Re: Why is no one interested in albinos? [Re: jeff866] #848088
10/04/09 08:49 PM
10/04/09 08:49 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
The other ants probably do away with them if they ever do get produced, as it is not a "natural" look.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024