Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: pappy1264] #604197
08/04/08 06:44 PM
08/04/08 06:44 PM

M
Mayetze
Unregistered
Mayetze
Unregistered
M

Gina, keep in mind these creatures see you as the head of the pack. If you are worried and fretting they are going to feed off of this and realize there is something wrong. Heavily.

They are dependent on you being the mommy, and right now all you can do is keep yourself together and think POSITIVELY.

Like:

"I want fawkes to get better, I want him to heal, I want him to have a healthy appetite..."

Get rid of the negative because its just making things more stressful on you and your little guy.

You will get the magnets, you will have the vitamins, you are a fantastic mommy and in the end all that matters is you ARE doing the very best you can with what you have and you will find the resources to make this situation better.

Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: ] #604237
08/04/08 07:42 PM
08/04/08 07:42 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I'm sorry, Gina. I know it has been a really bad week for you. hug2 I remember the magnets taking a while to get to me as well. I always wondered if they got stuck to the inside of some mailman's truck and it took them a couple of days to notice. roflmao

Sorry about the VAL syrup, that is ridiculous. Hope everything gets there soon! hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: sugarlope] #604272
08/04/08 08:35 PM
08/04/08 08:35 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Rofl Gretchen, I thought of that too! I keep wondering if they got stuck to his bumper or something! roflmao

Fawkes refused waxies altogether tonight - hopefully he eats his dinner. I'm going to try to hand feed him a bit tonight. He took a couple of worms from me, but he tricked me - when I took him out of the pouch, there they were, wiggling at the bottom. frown

Looks like I might be using the Ensure sooner than I thought...

Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: ] #604280
08/04/08 08:50 PM
08/04/08 08:50 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I packed them pretty good to make sure that there was no way they could get stuck!

Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: LSardou] #604282
08/04/08 08:52 PM
08/04/08 08:52 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Oh Linda, I'm sure it's just some Postal Service faux pas tounge

Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: Cora] #604299
08/04/08 09:19 PM
08/04/08 09:19 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
Gina, you and Fawkes are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sad to hear that you are having to deal with a health problem like this but glad he has you to take care of him.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: pappy1264] #604301
08/04/08 09:20 PM
08/04/08 09:20 PM

M
Mayetze
Unregistered
Mayetze
Unregistered
M

I'd start it on ensure while you hand feed him, just so he can get used to the idea of it you know?

When Minnie Mouse was ill, and I was loosing my mind, as she was anxiety ridden I realized she was only reacting to how I was reacting.

Also maybe throughout the day take a little plastic spoon and put some chicken baby food on it. If he doesnt take that, try some honey with chicken.. and so on and so on. I noticed that when MM was sick she was doing everything she possibly could to have me wait on her hand and food.

However it seemed to do the trick. He also is upset cause he isnt with him cage mates anymore (obviously) and I am sure shock is setting in about now.

If you havent already done so, when I have to seperate someone from the crowd I set up a cage next to the "mother cage" so they can at least hear, smell, and see one another. Even went to the length of moving the Mother Cage's food shelve so whomever the unlucky one was could at the very least eat with the family.

Last edited by Mayetze; 08/04/08 09:21 PM.
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: LSardou] #604334
08/04/08 10:15 PM
08/04/08 10:15 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: LSardou
I packed them pretty good to make sure that there was no way they could get stuck!

I knew that too, but I know when you are waiting on something your mind starts thinking up all kinds of funny things. roflmao

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: sugarlope] #604378
08/04/08 11:13 PM
08/04/08 11:13 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Gina I am sorry to be reading this about Fawkes. We will be keeping you both in our thoughts. One thing i tried to get meds down is Hawaiian Delight Baby food. Maybe that will help a little bit with getting the meds in him.
hug2

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: BCChins] #604395
08/04/08 11:26 PM
08/04/08 11:26 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Gina - I cannot describe how worried I am for Fawkes, but also how happy I am to know that he is in such good hands. What an example you are setting to all glider owners - new and old. THANK YOU for going the distance for Fawkes. THANK YOU for never giving up hope.

I am keeping ou and Fawkes in my prayers. I so wish I was closer.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: ] #604401
08/04/08 11:32 PM
08/04/08 11:32 PM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
have you tried something he really likes and mixing the m eds in it. but only use a tiny bit of the food he likes so he gets all the meds down.

Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: ] #604422
08/04/08 11:48 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: Mayetze
He also is upset cause he isnt with him cage mates anymore (obviously) and I am sure shock is setting in about now.

If you havent already done so, when I have to seperate someone from the crowd I set up a cage next to the "mother cage" so they can at least hear, smell, and see one another. Even went to the length of moving the Mother Cage's food shelve so whomever the unlucky one was could at the very least eat with the family.

I have not separated him from his family, I don't see the need to. Separating him would just stress him out and further aggravate the cancer. He needs his family right now.

Karen - mixing the meds in food doesn't work. There is far to much meds & the taste is too strong to hide in anything. I can give him less if I just mix it with water. If I mix it with food (yogurt, pudding, etc) he has to ingest 3 times as much to get his meds down.

Brenda - I bought some Hawaiian Delight, but with the other "fruity" baby foods, it only seemed to heighten the bitterness of the herbals - so I haven't used it yet. It seems like the milkier things, like pudding, tone it down best. But I have to use a lot of it in order for it not to turn into a rock - For it to be a workable paste, I need about 1.5ccs of pudding, which is a lot for a wee glider. This is why I switched to water. I can use about 0.5 -0.75cc of water...

I'm going to go pick up some avocado tomorrow & we're going to have a mini glider buffet & try to find something he'll eat. I sat with him tonight & picked the peas & corn out of his Priscilla's mix & he wouldn't even take those. My mealie shipment should be here tomorrow too, maybe he'll find those more palatable than the waxies, I dunno...

Maybe he's eating in the middle of the night when I'm asleep & I just don't know it (*crossing fingers*). I guess we'll see when we have his weigh-in on Wednesday.

Thanks guys, for all your support...

Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: ] #604423
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Monster
I asked about the Essiac & she said that there are no clinical trials to back it up, and that there are over 40 different formulas being marketed as Essiac in North America right now - so really there's nothing to say that it doesn't work, but there's nothing to say it does either.

Sorry I haven't been on lately between a schedule change at work, and drill...however...when it comes to Essiac, Essiac Canada International is the ONLY authorized distributor, with the ONLY true recipie as originally turned over by Nurse Renee Caisse. They have Essiac for pets, at this site: http://www.essiacforpets.com/ a phone number is listed and they recommend calling them for info before ordering...may I suggest calling them? It surely can not hurt...
hug2

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: hipbchik] #604446
08/05/08 12:10 AM
08/05/08 12:10 AM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Thanks Carolyn - but according to their charts, I'd have to give him about 14.5g of the Essiac powder twice a day. That's a lot!

With the 2 herbals I'm giving now, combined, they are less than 0.4g twice a day - and I'm already having trouble getting that down him.

The only thing I wonder is how the powder tastes. If it has the same horrid taste that these herbals have or if it tastes better. Have you ever tasted it outside the capsule (I realize that's a very strange question)?

I wouldn't stop giving his current meds, just because my vet has had success with other animals (and people). But it might be an option for an addition if it's something fairly tastless that could be added to food.

Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: ] #604460
08/05/08 12:34 AM
08/05/08 12:34 AM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Monster
Thanks Carolyn - but according to their charts, I'd have to give him about 14.5g of the Essiac powder twice a day. That's a lot!

With the 2 herbals I'm giving now, combined, they are less than 0.4g twice a day - and I'm already having trouble getting that down him.

The only thing I wonder is how the powder tastes. If it has the same horrid taste that these herbals have or if it tastes better. Have you ever tasted it outside the capsule (I realize that's a very strange question)?

I wouldn't stop giving his current meds, just because my vet has had success with other animals (and people). But it might be an option for an addition if it's something fairly tastless that could be added to food.

I can't say I've ever tried it outside the capsule...I was doing the Tea for a while,, & it was truly not a very pleasant taste...

As for the 14.5g 2X daily, I'm thinking that is for larger animals...that's why I think calling them would be best; I'm not sure they'll know what a Glider is, but maybe they could consult with Dr. Tristan?

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: hipbchik] #604540
08/05/08 01:58 AM
08/05/08 01:58 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Wow, Gina, my heart goes out to you. hug2 I'm so sorry to hear about little Fawkes' condition, and the ongoing challenges you're facing. hug2 Hang in there! He couldn't be in better hands. Your continued love and support, in all ways, is powerful medicine as well. heart

Do you have a gram scale that you can use to weigh him each morning? I picked up one at Wal-Mart for not too much money. I know it's overkill, but now all three of my babies know the routine of being weighed as soon as I take them out of the pouch to go in my bra for the day. (Hiroshi was overweight and needed to lose 30 grams and I wanted to make sure he was the only one losing weight.)

Here's another fruit to ask your vet about: acai berry.

Would peanut butter work to mix his meds in? It's thick and has a strong taste. Or maybe almond butter or cashew butter? dunno

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. heart

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Fawkes has Lymphoma... [Re: KattyM] #604610
08/05/08 04:20 AM
08/05/08 04:20 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Please go HERE for the continuation of this topic...

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma #604611
08/05/08 04:21 AM
08/05/08 04:21 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
For Part 1, please see This Thread...

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: sugarglidersuz] #604613
08/05/08 04:24 AM
08/05/08 04:24 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Gina, I'm so very sorry that you are having to go through this with Fawkes. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers hug2

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: sugarglidersuz] #604654
08/05/08 07:54 AM
08/05/08 07:54 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Gina, tons of hugs and prayers from here- hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
Clotho glider sends hers to her first Mommy, too, and her Uncle Fawkes!! I'm so sorry-I don't have experience with cancer, but if there's ANYTHING I can do or you need a shoulder-please give me a call! hug2

Last edited by Xfilefan; 08/05/08 07:55 AM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: Xfilefan] #604659
08/05/08 08:12 AM
08/05/08 08:12 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Gina, ideas for the meds: Melt some vanilla ice cream or fruit sorbet in a spoon and try mixing that in as a flavoring-it might help them go down easier. I've used both. I've also used Rose's Watermelon drink Mixer for Riker's Thyroxine-nothing in it that will hurt him, it's mostly sugar with flavoring and color-if he likes watermelon, or they also make flavors like blue raspberry and a few others.

Last edited by Xfilefan; 08/05/08 08:19 AM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: Xfilefan] #604701
08/05/08 09:36 AM
08/05/08 09:36 AM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
Gina - at one point, Priscilla's diet called for Gatorade (powder mix with water to taste). My gliders lapped it up. A dab of honey and yogurt helped once when I had to give meds.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: mattysmom] #605057
08/05/08 05:47 PM
08/05/08 05:47 PM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
Gina, I was talking with Jen today & she said that "Scientific Americana" (I think that was the magazine's name) had a special issue out on Cancer with new information in it. She had just picked it up at the store & as she was paging through it thought it might be helpful for you & Fawkes.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: glidrz5] #605185
08/05/08 08:25 PM
08/05/08 08:25 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Ok, so I'm typing one handed because Fawkes just had his first magnet treatment & fell fast asleep on my stomach, without a pouch, just out in the open! I guess he liked it! (((HUGS))) Linda!

Also, my mealie shipment arrived this afternoon and Fawkes ate 20 of them! In fact, he could hardly wait for me to hand them to him, he was ripping at them like a wild man! Apparently he was just sick of waxies! Whew!

Katty - thanks for the tips, I'll have to try the peanut butter. I have heard of Acai berry, will definately have to check that out & ask the vet for dosing.

I tried vanilla Ensure today since it's not much thicker than water, but man it turned into cement as soon as it hit that powder!

I heard about that article, I'm going to have to track it down.

Also, something else happened today...

Fawkes' is going to the University of Tennessee Veterinary Teaching Hospital to get a CT Scan/Radiograph to see if his cancer has spread. I can't go into details, all I can say is that Fawkes has a guardian angel looking out for him!
hug2 hug2 hug2

Today is a good day...

Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: ] #605258
08/05/08 09:55 PM
08/05/08 09:55 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
sounds good Gina..........thank goodness for glider angels!!! wink

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: Cora] #605272
08/05/08 10:20 PM
08/05/08 10:20 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
hug2 I'm glad today is a good day. hug2

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: TracieB] #605275
08/05/08 10:21 PM
08/05/08 10:21 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Keep us updated on how is guardian angel appointment goes hug2

Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: ] #605284
08/05/08 10:30 PM
08/05/08 10:30 PM
Miami, Fl
reeny Offline
Glider Slave
reeny  Offline
Glider Slave

Miami, Fl
Glad you had a good day Gina. Keep us posted on the CT scan. hug2

Reeny
&
"The Flower Patch Gang"

Blossom & Buttercup
Bella & Bug
Mona & Poppy
Hannah & Lucas
Petunia & Payton
Petals
Fiona & Fiorello
Lili & Tulip & Krinkles

www.moonovermiamigliders.com

Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: reeny] #605324
08/05/08 11:37 PM
08/05/08 11:37 PM

M
MagicMan
Unregistered
MagicMan
Unregistered
M

Gina, thanks so much for the update! You 2 are definitely in my thoughts and prayers!

Re: Part 2: Fawkes Has Lymphoma [Re: ] #605399
08/06/08 02:16 AM
08/06/08 02:16 AM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
Gina,
Glad to hear another angel came to your rescue...here's hoping Fawkes' test comes out better than expected. I'll light a candle...
hug2

peace~carolyn

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024